1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Brother is really hard on knives, looking for an inexpensive tough knife in a decent steel

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Macchina, May 8, 2019.

1. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Kershaw Blur in s30V or a Buck Pro Vantage in the same steel.

2. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Don't waste your money; let him buy his own knives.

WValtakis, jmh33 and Bigbobg like this.
  3. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Buy him a fixed blade izula

jmh33, K.O.D. and cbach8tw like this.
  4. xraso

xraso Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2014
    +1 to this

5. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Becker BK-14 with zytel handles.

Bomb-proof and easy to sharpen.

Revolverrodger likes this.
  6. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Buck 110 / Forever Warranty ;)
    [​IMG]

At1Rest, AntDog and Ajack60 like this.
  7. Bigbobg

Bigbobg Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Why is it up to you to buy knives for him?

8. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    IMO:

#1. Make him sharpen his own knives.
    #2. Show him how to repair his own knives.

You didn't describe what he does with his knives... unless he really does hammer things with it. If that's the case, get him a hammer. If not, why not have him get something that is actually used for whatever he is doing?

9. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I’d say mora robust

CanadaKnifeGuy likes this.
  10. Macchina

Macchina

Apr 7, 2006
    I'm thinking it's between the Steel Will Cutjack and Ontario RAT-1... Anyone have the Steel Will?

11. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    You could buy him a Byrd and have decent quality for not much money. Of course, you could buy him an Izula. I carry one in my pocket quite often. He can't tear that up!

12. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Considering you can find the Kershaw Barge for about $15, you won't do any better then 7-8-or maybe 9crXmov steels out of china, which aren't "bad" persay if the Heat Treat is ok. Some company's are more consistent then others.

Next best value, ESEE Zancudo in D2, framelock with better steel for about $35...

13. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    If everything to him is a hammer, get him a hammer and a cheapo razor knife with a lot of replacement blades.

Make sure you slowly explain which one’s for smashin’ and which one’s for cuttin’ stuff.

jmh33, Mo2 and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  14. K.O.D.

K.O.D. The Everlasting Know-it-all Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I'll 300th the Cold Steel recommendation. That tri-ad lock is beastly.

jux t and DocJD like this.
  15. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    honestly cheap, sharp and idiot proof
    well. not unless one is downright careless ...
    be sure to get the spare blades too,

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  16. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    I agree !

CanadaKnifeGuy likes this.
  17. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    He's a logger, who sometimes cuts, sometimes whacks and sometimes hacks.. consider this:

[​IMG]

bikerector likes this.
  18. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    I have an A.G,Russell rancher, great little knife and not expensive. Have a look at one, i think it is on page 5 of their knives page, with a video about the knife.

19. Jim_Archibald

Jim_Archibald

Jul 14, 2019
    Currently the best cheap beater knives around are coming from Ganzo's Firebird line. In fact they just released their first knife to top $50.00, a OTF automatic. Most can be had between $15-$30 with free shipping. Like a razor right outa da box, bargain basement? yes. a good knife? Most assuredly. Testing against similar more expensive American blades prove that in most cases the blade steel in the Ganzo is superior. Unless of course you opt to spend a extra $150.

20. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Victorinox Pioneer. He can use the bottle opener for prying and the awl for poking, when the pivot gets a bit loose just hit the pins with a hammer a bit to tighten them up. Steel is soft so won't crack easily and you can bend it back into shape (I was a lot younger and used the blade for prying), also means it's very easy to sharpen even from completely dull. Metal body for light hammering. It's also cheap to buy and replace.

Gary W. Graley likes this.