1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Brouwer sent in for bottomed out lock. Returned unchanged

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Jarvis959, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Jarvis959

Jarvis959

Oct 5, 2017
    For context, I sent in my Spyderco Brouwer for repair about a month ago due to a lock that was completely bottoming out and had significant up and down blade play as well as a blade that refused to center no matter how tight the pivot was turned. The knife was bought at the end of October last year directly from BladeHQ and the model itself was only released just over a year ago. To my understanding, light use in the form of cardboard and tape cutting should not wear a framelock with a steel insert this quickly. The knife itself arrived with lockup ˜75% brand new but I trusted spyderco to know what they were doing when it came to locks.

I fully understand that any kind of modification voids the warranty of a spyderco and my knife has the spine ground down to be more angular. This was done disassembled with a slow grinder, brand new belt, and very frequent water cooling. The entire pivot area was also completely covered to prevent anything from touching the lock face/pivot at all, but I mentioned this in the letter included with the knife that also specified exactly what was wrong. I also offered to pay however much it would cost to fix because I knew that technically my warranty was voided even if the modification did nothing to change the lockup or centering.

LETTER: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qI_DlbR-nGyapoq7ZngFfDI1AhzPm9LRsBPk_XF-FTA/edit?usp=drivesdk

Spyderco replied to be in the form of a letter saying they would fix the knife if I were to assist by sending $5 in for shipping back. I complied the next day by credit card over the phone with one of their representatives. On the phone I also had the opportunity to confirm that they knew what the issue was.

IMAGES AND SPYDERCO'S LETTERS TO ME https://imgur.com/gallery/5N7qJo5
    CENTERING: http://imgur.com/a/7laqWqf

Today, i received the knife back and to my dismay it appears neither the centering nor the vertical play/bottomed out lockup has been touched at all. The only change I can see is that they aggressively sharpened the knife. I am very disappointed with the service and was just hoping to have a knife i really liked back in rotation.

2. 5-by-5

5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    You modded and completely disassembled a knife.

Now you're disparaging Spyderco in multiple forums.
    :rolleyes:

3. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    Blade spine mod doesn't affect the lock. Neither should disassembly. I guess your stance is any disassembly or modification should void the warranty (which is a stance even Spyderco has gone back on)?

But on the knife, most curious for me is if they tried replacing the steel part of the lock bar or not. I am assuming not from the state it came back. If that's right, are those there just because steel is harder so wears slower and not so the company can make replacements?

marrenmiller likes this.
  4. Charlie Blue

Charlie Blue

Oct 9, 2019
    And despite modifying it from the way it sounds he informed them and they knew about it when agreeing to fix the issue he notified hem of

5. Jarvis959

Jarvis959

Oct 5, 2017

:rolleyes: This guys too scared to learn how to take apart his knives. At the end of the day knives aren't super complex objects. Take a bit of care and you should be able to disassemble/reassemble anything without rivets :rolleyes:

Spyderco didnt have a problem with the modifications I did. I called spyderco again after getting my knife back and the reply was that they had found some lint on the inside and that they cleaned it out and now its fine. Lint doesnt make a lockup later... Thats not how locks work. I told him such and he replied that he couldnt see the problem. At the end of the call he told me to send it back in again if I was still having problems. Clearly, spyderco's warranty is lacking.

marrenmiller and kreole like this.
  6. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I would say the first sentence of the last paragraph explains it all.
    The knife is not replaceable under warranty or repairable to factory condition. Key words being "repairable to original factory conditions". I took it as Spyderco being cordial in their reply instead of them being rude or belligerent to say they won't touch the knife once a modification is done. They were generous to just charge 5 dollars for return shipping.

At what point did you do the mod ? When you first got it, when you saw 75% lock up or 100% lock up ? Did you adjust the lock bar insert ?

brownshoe and 5-by-5 like this.
  7. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Liner locks and frame locks can be funny to center. Try jamming cardboard into the "off side" before you fully tighten the pivot and body screws.

8. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I though that disassembly was NOT a disqualifying act UNLESS it in some way altered or impaired the function of the knife.

9. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    That is what they say the warranty is. If you go through posts here and their own forum, it's pretty clear that they often assume disassembly caused the problem, which is disqualifying. Just going through Sal's stickied threads on disassembly show you what they really think about it.

10. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Bummer. The few times I've needed to use Spyderco's warranty it was exemplary.

Bigfattyt likes this.
  11. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    No one to blame but yourself OP.

Bigfattyt likes this.
  12. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Your lock doesn't bottom out, there's still room to move. That could very well be due to your disassembly, many knife tinkerers have that problem.

That centering's barely off. That's probably due to disassembly, again a common problem with knives taken apart at home by people who are not cutlers. If it don't scrape the liner it's not a problem.

When Spyderco fixes a knife for non-warranty work ( e.g., knives sent in due to reassembly problems), they charge more than $5. You got the clean, tighten and sharpen job, not a warranty or non-warranty repair.

I gather the knife still works and you got it sharpened & cleaned for $5, you should be happy. Maybe you want it perfect to sell, thus the vitriol?

Bigfattyt likes this.
  13. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    OP - centering does not seem to be out of spec. I would not even mention it when sending for repair. That 100% lockup with vertical play is indeed a problem. Not that I agree to Spyderco's decision of not fixing it for you but they were not wrong since you made some major modification to the knife (and yes I agree with you that the mod should not affect the lockup).

I see no point for you to continue to argue with Spyderco CS. Try to ask people like Josh at REK if that is sth he can fix, if this knife is very important to you.

14. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    The centering is barely off. What about pictures of the lockup?

15. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    If you click on the blue highlighted link in the original post, it will bring you to the pics.

16. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I think people might be missing the fact that the detent can contact the far side scale before the lock looks like it goes past 100% lockup. If true, his knife can't adjust for wear further and the insert should be replaced.

17. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I was wondering about the same thing. It seems replacing the lockbar insert with a taller one would easily lessen or even eliminate the problem, which should not cost much. Yet Spyderco chose not to fix it. There might be other more complicated issue(s)?

marrenmiller likes this.