Browning Rage?

Hello all,
I've recently decided to buckle down and get back into archery. I haven't shot since I was a kid and have done plenty of window shopping but something always seemed to come up (like a knife). Today I was out looking at fishing gear for my old man and found what seems to be a decent price on a used left handed Browning Rage package. Any thoughts on this bow or any suggestions? I'm about 5'10, 176 lbs. Thanks in advance.

-Lindey

Well, assuming you're a left-handed shot... if not, skip this bow.

More important than your height and weight is the bow's capabilities. What are its draw length and draw weight? Although each is adjustable, you need to have your preferences measured (you can do this yourself--there are a few websites that can help you--or you can hither to a well-equipped sporting goods store and they'll help you).

Then, make sure the bow in question is adjustable to your measurements.

Then, it's a question of how used it is. This can be a bigger problem for a compound than other types of bows, since traditional bows are not as easily tuned. A compound can be easily abused--and if you adjust the length and weight settings, you can discover just how much. Fortunately, there are stabilizers and limb replacements that can--at cost--mitigate a lot of abuse into a well-performing weapon.

At a minimum, you'd need to replace the string. I don't think this would be a major challenge to you, since the Rage is a very common bow (materials easy to obtain, and directions probably available off Browning's website).

Anyone else have any advice?

I worked for a number of years at an archery pro shop and have seen so many people buy a bow because of a good deal only to waste their money on a bow that is not right for them. Too much weight or too little, draw length to short or too long or any number of other factors. My suggestion is to go to a local pro shop, shoot a few bows, ask a bunch of questions and do your homework before you plop down your hard earned cash. There are a lot of fantastic buys on used compounds, they are sort of like computers, everyone wants the latest and greatest. I would recommend that you buy used, after you are sure of what you want and what size you need. Chris

Thanks for the info so far. Like I said I've been looking into getting back into it for many years now but never did due to convenience. The place I found this bow at fortunately has a long history in my area and rely's heavily on its rep to stay in business. I spoke a fair bit to the owner today telling him what i was looking for and he pointed out a few models that would be suited to my needs. This one in particular is in like new condition and part of the deal is that whatever I decide on they'll tune to suite me. Also they have an indoor range on site so I'll have the option of trying before buying. The main reason I posted here was to get info on this particular bow. It is the Browning Rage. So far the sites I've checked have spoke highly of it being a good starting bow but I'm always a bit skeptical as these places are trying to sell them and I haven't come across any user reviews yet. The price on this does seem to be good but I'd like to get an unbiased opinion first. I'm not in too much of a rush though I have found that left handed bows are harder to come by. If anyone is overly curious I could shoot you an email with the price and what it includes. Thanks again.

-Lindey

My suggestion is to go to a local pro shop, shoot a few bows, ask a bunch of questions and do your homework before you plop down your hard earned cash. There are a lot of fantastic buys on used compounds, they are sort of like computers, everyone wants the latest and greatest. I would recommend that you buy used, after you are sure of what you want and what size you need. Chris

I know diddly about bows, but I know some about guitars; if someone was looking for a first axe, that's exactly what I'd tell 'em. (Well, what runningboar said, plus, "don't play 'Stairway', Smoke on the Water' or 'Paranoid' in the store." ) :thumbup:

The main reason I posted here was to get info on this particular bow. It is the Browning Rage. So far the sites I've checked have spoke highly of it being a good starting bow but I'm always a bit skeptical as these places are trying to sell them and I haven't come across any user reviews yet.

If you haven't already, go to Google and enter in:

"browning rage" review

I got 1,350 hits, some of which appear to be non-sales, independent reviews.

The Browning rage appears to be right hand only, is available in draw lengths from 21-31 inches and draw weights range from 55-65. Double cam, 37 1/2 inch ata length, weighs 3.9# stripped and will probably be over 5# with quiver and all the other goodies attached.

Go to www.bowsite.com and ask some questions about the bow.

I 'm not sure where you are in Ont. but if it's in the south head to Bass Pro.
I have to admit i've been to couple of pro shops all they do is gtry to sell you stuff you'll never really use. Bass Pro will let you try the bow your interested
in and give you an honest word. I never forget good service.

Thanks folks especially for the link ERdept,

Gibsonfan, I hear ya on that one. When I bought both my first and most recent guitar I spent hours playing any and everything that appealed to me. Or in the cas of my 1st guitat a family friend played the potential prospects.

Thanks Watchful, I did give that a shot but nothing too detailed came up unlike some of the knife reviews on here. It was all positive though.

Longbow50,They do have a left handed model, and one of the pro's about it seems to be that it has an adjustible draw length of up to 10" and the draw weight is also adjustible. Thanks for the link.

Wayne37, I'm in Welland so Bass Pro Shops isn't too far. But Erie Tracker does have a good rep for cutomer service and they also have a range on site to try the gear. They've been in business for a long time and my family has shopped there for at least a decade for fishing supplies.

Cheers,
Lindey

Well I bought it. Thanks to all those who chimed in. Went in and took a good close look at it. There wasn't so much as a scratch on the finish and the string was in great shape. The guy spent some time with me passing it back and forth as he set the draw length and weight for me then took me out to the range and watchemed me shoot for a while making sure everything looked good and to answer any questions. When all was said and done, I ended up getting $20 off the bw, $10 off a hard sided case, a free hat and 3 free hours at the range. So I was satisfied. Paid an additional 40 though for 24hr access to the indoor range for a month. Take care all.

-Lindey

Back