Browser crashes...need help, geeks!

OK, I'm getting tired of my browser crashing about every other minute (slight exaggeration) for seemingly no reason. This has been bugging me for a couple weeks and it started just out of the blue.

I still run Windows98 and use Opera. It doesn't look like it's Opera's fault, I tried the IE and it will crash just as often.

I've used ScanDisk and Defrag.
I got AVG 7.0 and just ran it two days ago.
I regularly run and update Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster.

What the heck is wrong with my 'puter?

Crash ... how ? The application itself crashes ? Does anything else except those two web browsers crash in similar manner ? (specifically do other applications that don't use networking crash, and do other applications that DO use networking crash)

faramir said:
Crash ... how ? The application itself crashes ?

Yes.

faramir said:
Does anything else except those two web browsers crash in similar manner ? (specifically do other applications that don't use networking crash, and do other applications that DO use networking crash)

Outlook sometimes does, but far less frequently than the browsers.

Have you updated windows or your device drivers lately?
Have you installed any new hardware or software?
Has anyone else got an account on your PC and installed anything from a disc or the net?
Have you any "rollback software" installed like "Go-Back" or system restore?

I'd try Firefox and see if you get the same problem.It's good to handle intrusive scripts and pop-ups ,as well as being a neat browser.

Outlook usegae resuklts in far less network traffic so this is no indicator. What about other browsers (Firefox for example) or other network applications (say FTP clients, news readers, etc.) ?

What about those other appliations (that have nothing to do with networking, such as Word and similar apps) ? DO they crash as well or not ?

It's important to determ,ine whether the causeof your probems has something to do with networking (virus/worm, hardware defect, driver problem, etc.) or it's a generic system problem that affects all applications (corrupted registry and/or other configuration files, defective RAM or CPU/motherboard, etc.). You'll have to provide more details - guessing as to what is wrong in your case as as likely to be successful as guessing the lottery numbers.

musashi said:
Have you updated windows or your device drivers lately?
Have you installed any new hardware or software?
Has anyone else got an account on your PC and installed anything from a disc or the net?
Have you any "rollback software" installed like "Go-Back" or system restore?

No, no, no and no.

musashi said:
I'd try Firefox and see if you get the same problem.It's good to handle intrusive scripts and pop-ups ,as well as being a neat browser.

Been thinking about that for a while (for different reasons), seems like I need to try it...but I kinda doubt that Firefox will solve my problem.

faramir said:
What about those other appliations (that have nothing to do with networking, such as Word and similar apps) ? DO they crash as well or not ?

No.

I honestly don't know why this problem started or by what the crashes are triggered. I can browse Bladeforums (for example) for half an hour without a problem and all of a sudden the browser will crash simply because I scrolled down on a page...it just happens at random (or so it seems).

Thanks for your help guys!