Brusletto knives???

Has anyone ever used a Brusletto knife?
I think they are from Norway, and they seem beautifully made hunting and utility fixed blade knives.
I don't know about performance, though.
Any info would be appreciated.

Costas

The knife was made by Morseth Knives.

Originally made by Harry Morseth; the company was sold, upon Harry's death, to A.G.Russell in 1971.

Your knife may have been manufactured either by Harry Morseth, or A.G.Russell.

Since 1949 Harry produced some of his knives from blade blanks imported from Norway. These blanks were marked "Brusletto/Geilo/Made in Norway"

The two brands of Norwegian knives that I know a bit about are Brusletto and Helle.

Morseth knives, now AG Russell, may have used Brusletto laminated blades, but Brusletto is not part of AG Russell's operation. Brusletto also does not, according to their catalog, use laminated blades in their production knives, but homogeneous Sandvik 12C27 (not the latest supersteel, but nothing wrong with it).

Here's the link to Brusletto's web page:
www.brusletto.com

They do some nice very traditional designs, though their models with brass guards, like many other traditional Scandinavian knives, can use closer fitting of guard to blade to appeal to Yankee tastes. The other problem I've run into in trying to peddle them is that, due to low volume importation, availability of any given model is sporadic on this side of the pond, so people who want one should have first and second choices in mind. I haven't put any of them to hard use.

Helle knives mostly have laminated stainless blades - hard stuff in the middle. Their designs tend to bend tradition a little more than Bruslettos, but they are mostly still very much Scandinavian cutlery, and some are very attractive work, with working class prices. My favorite in their line is the Tor/Turi, and the Polar is a bargain. Again, their models with brass guards can use a better fit.

In laminated carbon steel, Frosts of Sweden makes some very basic woodcraft knives, priced to use and abuse.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 14 July 1999).]

I own several scandinavian knives. One of them is a guardless Brusletto Puukko with a laminated steel blade, masuric (grows in the toendra)? birchwood handle and black leather sheet with platic insert. It's a very sharp baby. Brusletto is an old norvegian company. I know somebody who owns a catalog of the company. I'll read it and send you more information.
In Scandinavia knives play an important role in daily life, there are numerous knifemakers (companies) in that region (Helle in Norway, Martiini in Finland, Karesuando in Sweden,...) Not to mension the many traditional knivemakers.

Tim

The Brusletto puukko I've raved about from time to time is one I bought back in 1973 and apparently they don't make that model any more. Some of the models they make now look pretty similar, though. Mine has a 4" (10cm) plain carbon steel blade (not a sandwich) and a birch handle with full-length tang but no guard at all, not even a speed bump. I love it.
smile.gif

-Cougar Allen :{)

Tim,

Forgive my ignorance, but could you please tell me the names of some of the more 'traditional' knife makers and styles from Scandinavian countries. I looked at the companies you mentioned, and I love their style. I would like to see the more traditional knives as well.

Thank you in advance.

Back