BSA Scout Knives

Who makes em these days? I have been kind of hunting about for a Cub Scout knife and it reminded me of the dearly departed Camillus and Ulster/Schrade. They still sell the standard types; looks like they are stainless. Bear? Chinese?

When Camillus went under, BSA tried Colonial, which said they would supply knives made in USA (very nice Cub knives but not from the U.S.A. Italy?) and Baer & Son, who had their usual quality problems. Both were dumped. Now it's CHINA and Victorinox for knives sold by B.S.A. and anyone who will pay a licensing fee for knives sold otherwise, such as Case. The CHINA knives look fine. HT?

Last edited:
The ones our local Scout shop have are all Chinese made, and they also have a limited selection of BSA branded Victorinox SAK's.
Bear made the last Jamboree knife and a standard Scout model but I never saw any Bear made knives in the shop. They also made the Remington repros.

All of the recent ones I've seen have been China, Case, or Victorinox. The Case are made and priced for gifts or collecting, IMO, which leaves Victorinox as the best choice for Scouts to actually carry and use.

8055.jpg

Thanks!

That Case looks like hammered poo. And I am a case fan. What the... did their camper tooling wear out so they bought some from Rough Rider?

Seems like there used to be more Cub Scout knives on that auction site at reasonable prices in decent condition. I'd be very interested in seeing the Colonial versions.

Do my eyes deceive me, or does it appear that Colonial is making (or will soon start making) new Cub Scout knives and the small Eagle Scout knife? This could be a nice departure from the current BSA offerings... Thanks Mark for noticing this.

I think the story is that Colonial was contracted to do the knives, but made in USA. They weren't, contract terminated. Something apparently a little fishy about Colonial. No apparent manufacturing facility, yet all "made in USA." I kind of wonder if you could even buy the one I refer to.

Does anyone know if the Chinese models are at least of the well done variety?

Anyone agree with me on the Case? Case used to make a gorgeous camper "back in the day."

I guess the time of official boy scout fixed blades is all in the past... same with axes.

Why don't you look in the secondhand market, flea markets, garage sales, online, tons of scout knives out there, I've given a number away, from 50's & 60's. they can be found cheap.

My Boy Scout knife from late 70's early 80's seen a lot of these Ulsters out there.

779E82D3-F141-499F-96BB-93DFB3FD56CF-105-00000000A7D1F271_zps0946ea79.jpg

064B6580-5F56-4B04-A59E-B20E687EA3EF-105-00000000B1934D84_zps4ebbb6dc.jpg

Old Kastor/Camillus

F5A44EFE-E8AA-47A2-9B74-E9CD90A14D68-105-00000000CA305D64_zps8ab54261.jpg

And my all time favorite Scout knife Dwight Divine & Sons 1502 c.1923-1941

E6CD5C86-2CEA-4FD3-BA92-A4A5999316CB-105-00000000BCE6B7B0_zps5be07aee.jpg

Coined liner
2458B1D0-BEED-475A-BCFA-95663EF08301-105-00000000C34A80ED_zps1dc1708d.jpg

Pete

Anyone agree with me on the Case? Case used to make a gorgeous camper "back in the day."

Yeah, that blue bone looks like butt. Can't believe they picked that example as their photo sample.

A few years ago, maybe ten years, I bought a Case BSA Scout pattern knife and gave it as a gift. It had beautiful brown handles, really classy, and appeared to be very well made.

Not the scales I object to. The can and bottle openers are terrible looking. And the overall proportions are wretched. The Case camper I am thinking of had the same proportions and implements as the Ulster above.

I see.

A while back I photographed the entire knife collection of a local Scouting museum, dozens and dozens of knives. Here are a couple of my favorites:

DB8.jpg

DG2a.jpg

I love the slogan on this one, from the Brownie Scouts:

DG1a.jpg

DG1b.jpg

Pete's suggestion is right on. That big auction site always has some in various states of (dis)repair, and I've seen them at flea markets before, too.
By the way, Pete, that 1502 is a beauty! I have the same one, though not nearly as pretty.

trickscout.JPG

Great pics, Bob -- thanks for sharing!

I guess the time of official boy scout fixed blades is all in the past... same with axes.

Sheath knives went away in 1981, but B.S.A. says a "short" fixed-blade is the ideal camping knife.

Do my eyes deceive me, or does it appear that Colonial is making (or will soon start making) new Cub Scout knives and the small Eagle Scout knife? This could be a nice departure from the current BSA offerings... Thanks Mark for noticing this.

No. Colonial deceives you.

Does anyone know if the Chinese models are at least of the well done variety?

Fit and finish are fine, if you can accept a slightly yellow "nickle silver" in the bolsters and tumbled parts lading to Chinese Screwdriver Disease [rounded edges]. Heat treat is the question. Not any reports back on how they take and hold and edge.

This is a Camillus scout with the phillips head screwdriver. The handle were done in stag by an employee using materials from the shop. He called it a "lunch box" special.

This one is an AG Russell that is my all time favorite as far as fit and finish go. You will find them on ebay every once in a while.

Back