BT2 coating

sdw

Has anyone ever removed the BT coating on a Benchmade knife?I was thinking of doing this.My blade has gotten pretty scratched up and it looks rough.Rougher than I like.It's down to dull grey from the point to 1.25in back.I understand that this coating penatrates beyond the surface so if I take it off to the dull grey(similiar to bead blast finnish)color will it still be protected?
scott w

Scott, I was thinking of the same thing, too, specially after reading Dexter Ewing's review on the AFCK w/ M2 blade. I don't know about the ATS-34 steel, but M2 rusts easily, that's why they coated it with BT2.

According to the review, Dexter buffed off a portion of the BT2 coating until the steel shows, and was he continued using it under rain, and other wet conditions. No rust appeared, so it seems BT2 did penetrate the steel. But personally, I would rather have it there, for protection purposes. If it got all scratched up, you might want to try using sandpaper to make the colors more uniform, and remove the scatches. It will turn more grayish, but at least, you still have the protection of BT2.

But if you decided to remove it all the way, let me know how it goes. I guess that's a good test as any on BT2's steel penetrating ability.
smile.gif

Regards,

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dannyc (edited 09 May 1999).]

Scott,
Not sure of the answer to your questions but you may want to consider returning the knife to BM for a new blade. My Stryker's blade was in need for a facelift and they charge $35 for a new black coated blade and $5 for shipping. My knife looks great now and I have the coated protection for the ATS34.

I was very pleased with BM customer service, too, BTW.

------------------
~Greg~

Scott,
Not sure of the answer to your questions but you may want to consider returning the knife to BM for a new blade. My Stryker's blade was in need for a facelift and they charge $35 for a new black coated blade and $5 for shipping. My knife looks great now and I have the coated protection for the ATS34.

I was very pleased with BM customer service, too, BTW. Turn around time was about 1 week which is damn good.
smile.gif

------------------
~Greg~

Scott:

Out of all the BT2 blades that I have from benchmade, I have only had one replaced.

Keeping in mind that the coating penetrates the surface and will protect long after the black has worn away.....I kinda like having the BT2 showing some wear. It reminds you that the 150.00+ you spent was for a knife that has served you well and hard, not a knife that just sits in your pocket cutting lint
smile.gif

Now pocket clips are another story, cant have a scratched up clip clashing with a black suit
smile.gif

------------------
All of God's Critters may have knives, but most of them are stamped with the name BENCHMADE

[This message has been edited by Dark Nemesis (edited 09 May 1999).]

Back