Bubinga Chef

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I just finished this kitchen knife, (my fourth) and it's now hanging out in our kitchen- ready for duty.

The blade is done to a 400 grit hand rubbed finish, and is convex ground from about a cm up from the edge. Flat ground from there to the spine.

The handle is bubinga, (I think) and the blade is A2 tool steel. Between blade and handle is a 6AL4V titanium ferrule, harvested from a Bontrager 118 mountain bike handlebar that I bent in the late nineties. Good thing titanium doesn't go bad. Anyway, it was a pretty finicky build that somehow turned out pretty good.

Due to the construction method, this knife is extremely light in weight and should be very strong. Even before glue up, a mallet was required to remove the handle from tang while try fitting. The titanium ferrule snugs down around the tenon when the tang is pushed into the cutouts in the ferrule which are internally ramped. One great thing about this method is that the wood is not likely to ever crack in a way which causes catastrophic failure.

The handle is sealed with a tung oil finish.

RXli0Eh.jpg

x3SD5Fw.jpg

jMlmtWA.jpg

HKXGvs1.jpg

7vtvk7I.jpg

hMy9upd.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Back