Buck #102 for deer?

Have any of you used a #102 Woodsman for field-dressing chores? Just got one in new condition, pre-date code. Wondering if the dainty, little blade is up to the task.

I am sure the 102 will work great for what you need. It may be small, but it is a stout knife. Give it a try.

John

The Buck 102 has been my go-to outdoors knife since 1969. It took me till 2001 to wear it down to a steel toothpick, and bought a new 102 woodsman. Over the 30+ years I used it, I did deer, an elk in Colorado, a few boar, a couple tons of fish and small game, and uncountable camp chores.

The 102 is one of the best woodsman's knives out there.:thumbup:

I don't hunt anymore, but I don't go in the woods without my woodsman. When my better half and I still go camping, hiking, nature watching, fishing, canoeing, my 102 in on my hip.

A guy doesn't need a huge blade for whitetails! The 102 is perfect ;)
I have a 102 & 802 and she is the perfect fixed blade for hunting chores ;)

Try it, you'll be glad you did!

Thanks, guys, for taking the time to answer my question. Have a happy & safe New Year!

Jeff, For YEARS I used Buck's 107 for field dressing all my whitetail. Which is more diminutive than the 102.Through this I came to realize that certain design factors need to be in place w/ the knife to make it better. But most of all the man using the knife needs advanced schooling in sound woodsmanship.This helps the equation the most.DM

I don't have a 102 yet.But I have used several different Bucks to do the deer thing.I have cleaned about 888 deer in the last 22 years and you
can sure do it with a Buck 102.let us know how you like it.
Hawkeye

Last edited:
Thats 40.36 per year.
Actually, I could probably name some families that take that many in a year, August thru April.....22mag and light. Some folks for hill living survival and some sorry lowdown ones for cash or drugs. Never was there or heard of one carrying a good Buck knife though.

300Bucks

I have been carrying a Buck 103 in the woods lately and I really think it is a great utility knife. I know it is labeled as a skinner, but I like wider blade and it really does well for the tasks I need it to, including white tail. So yes the 102 would be sufficient for whitetail.

I also use the 103 for deer.

What in the field dressing of a whitetail puts any stress on the blade? If you open the pelvic bone that could but if you do it right it shouldn't.

Most any small knife could be used for the job.

I have seen a Buck 120 used for whitetail, always thought that was overkill, and lots of 110s and 119s, thats what the mart stores carried. I carry a 105 and consider it about perfect for anything up to elk size game.

I have been carrying a Buck 103 in the woods lately and I really think it is a great utility knife. I know it is labeled as a skinner, but I like wider blade and it really does well for the tasks I need it to, including white tail. So yes the 102 would be sufficient for whitetail.

Fletcher, I like the wider blade as well and the older ones(103) were 3/16's thick. Which allowed the user more flexibility and strength for other knife task.
DM:)

Thats 40.36 per year.
Actually, I could probably name some families that take that many in a year, August thru April.....22mag and light. Some folks for hill living survival and some sorry lowdown ones for cash or drugs. Never was there or heard of one carrying a good Buck knife though.

300Bucks

That's right 300 .There are 15 hunters on our lease.I was the youngest for
20 years.Guess who got to help and do most of the shinning and quartering
of those deer?:eek: I bet I can do one with my eye's closed with a Buck 102.:D
Hawkeye

Back