buck 102 woodsman: pleasently surprised

rat tail tang is plenty strong. anyone break a Buck or Ka-Bar Marine/Army fighting knife or Ontario 499 Pilot Survival knife at the blade/tang lately? I didn't think so.
Love the USMC knife but there are lots of pics of broken ones floating around on this forum and elsewhere.

I've used my 102 more than my 119 or 120. Its a handy size, kinda Mora sized.
I have the regular Phenolic handle but would love to get one of the leather handle versions sometime.

I like my 124 (have yet to put it to good use)

I just bought a 102 with cocobolo handle online! :)
arrives next week

Thank's Buck!

Had mine for over thirty years. My first Buck Knife. Constant companion, never disappoints.

As I understand it. Rat-tail tang is when the tail is attached to the blade such as by welding and not part of the blade.
So I think that 102 is not rat-tail tang knife

I always like your photos. But they make me hungry. DM

David,
I'll try to work on some non food related Buck photos this summer.

But expect a few of these too.

Summers are short here. So we try and take full advantage of our wood related cooking. While the wood is out of the snow.

The 102 Woodsman is a heck of a knife. If anyone is buying it for chopping, beating, or batoning they are choosing poorly. If instead they are buying it for more standard knife related chores. Such as slicing, filleting, light camp chores, and of course cutting. It is a wonderful choice. It will perform those chores with near surgical precision.

While it is important to know how this knife, or any knife for that matter is constructed. Rest assured the Woodsman is over built for its intended purpose. If used within its design parameters, you will be handing this knife off to your children, and they most likely to theirs.

Always remember, there are folks out there capable of destroying a one foot cube of titanium. Those folks should not be allowed access to surgical instruments such as the 102.

Last edited:
One day when I was chatting with Chuck Buck, he called the 100 series knives a 'rat tail' tang. This tang can be the same piece of blade material cut down. DM

0527151952_zpsdunqtl84.jpg

posted this before but thought I would keep the pics going.

The 102 is a very capable knife. It does most things well, including cutting a steak. It is one of my two favorite Buck fixed blades. I can't say anything about the 105, never having owned one, but other models have come and gone. The 102, 103, and 120 are still in the fold.

Now, if anyone at Buck is reading all this, we need a 102 in S30V.

Well, a bit larger with a small. difference in the shape but with a larger Handle: the 118 personal. That's the knife I prefer. And if you have a look you my find one with D2 steel

Haebbie

Back