Buck 106 handles

What years were the different handles offered on the 106? I know the phenolic came first. Then the black and red micarta, followed by some kind of all black composite, then rosewood. What years were each offered?
I tried searching the forum but couldn't find a thread on how to date a 106.

"This BUCK 106 Hatchet is one of the rare ones. Only a few were made during the transition from the black micarta slab handle to a different handle material. These were prototypes made to determine if they would use the Red/Burgandy micarta or the Wood handle slabs. Buck chose to go with the wood."

Quote from Klink.

Part of the puzzle OF.

If you are BCCI member, Joe Houser did a good review of the 106 in the March 04 Newsletter
Here is a brief summary..keep in mind that changes don't happen on January 1st so there are year overlaps.
Corrections welcomed.

1965 -1967 1-line phenolic handle, bone hard fiber spacers "HUNTERS AXE"
1967 2-line (USA added)
1969 spacers change to micarta
1971 black micarta handle, earliest are rare full wrap around with hidden tang
1972 3-line (model number added)
about 1972-1973 some burgundy micarta was used....??? (I'm guessing at this)
1983 handle changes to resin impregnated birch
1986 date codes begin
1993 last year in catalog..(for awhile)
1997-1998 reintroduced "CAMPERS AXE" 2" longer, birch handle
1999 black kydex handle, hang hole cutout
2000 black kydex handle, deer head cutout
2001 oak finish handle, deer head cutout (discontinued again after this year)

the first...
106plated083_zpsa0d72d3f.jpg

the last...
106Oak2001001a.jpg

Last edited:
"This BUCK 106 Hatchet is one of the rare ones. Only a few were made during the transition from the black micarta slab handle to a different handle material. These were prototypes made to determine if they would use the Red/Burgandy micarta or the Wood handle slabs. Buck chose to go with the wood."

Quote from Klink.

Part of the puzzle OF.

Was there a picture that went with the quote? Link?

Here's one that is different... This is the only one I've seen... Maybe some one can tell me more about it...
It came from a ex-Buck-employee... Thanks

106 Duck...

:)

Was there a picture that went with the quote? Link?

image.jpg

Klink is is holding forth on the center position burgundy axe here (notice the tiny "DOT" imprint on the sheath hardware twisty indicating the hardware manufacturer's name).

My understanding is that the Burgundy axe production count equals about only 100 pieces. Can anyone confirm this number?

Last edited:
Another Burgundy axe with sheath:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've never knowingly seen a SNAP 106 sheath. Only twisty closures. Excellent ad. ITE. Thank you. I will keep my eyes peeled 4 u.

(This is a copy of a post I made earlier this year)

Found this nice 106 Axe at a knife show last year but unfortunately had spent all my money on other goodies by the time I got to this one. Go forward 9 months to another knife show earlier this year and luck was with me, the dealer was there and still had it.... this time I still had money in my pocket. It would be early 80's, 3-line pre date code with wood handles. The front wood is darker but the backside has very nice color. I doesn't show any signs of use. I was attracted to it for another reason, it has the only axe sheath I have ever seen with a snap instead of turn-button closure.

Compare the sheath in the last pictures to another sheath with a turn-button closure, no rivits, the stitching, how 'BUCK' is stamped on the flap etc. Looking at the construction differences my thinking is that the snap sheath it not original to the Axe, probably a 60's sheath, predating the axe by 20 years or so. Anyone else with a snap sheath? What vintage axe is it on?

106withSnapSheath01515_zpsb7372145.jpg

106withSnapSheath0022_zps6014790f.jpg

106withSnapSheath0066_zps35b60e49.jpg

106withSnapSheath01010_zpsc8599cf2.jpg

106withSnapSheath01212_zpsc1994ddd.jpg

106withSnapSheath01313_zpsc108fe73.jpg

I thought the burgundy micarta was 1973? I have a 2-line burgundy micarta 106 but if Buck went to the 3 line in 1972 that wouldn't add up.

I thought the burgundy micarta was 1973? I have a 2-line burgundy micarta 106 but if Buck went to the 3 line in 1972 that wouldn't add up.

Remember, as I said before, things don't happen on January 1st, there is alot of overlap with midyear changes and new/old stock moving around the plant at the same time. 2-lines are consistent with an early 1972 date. There are alot of changes going on with this model between 1969 and 1972 and with a low volume selling model such as the 106 I expect we would see every combination/variation with no sharp delineation. Just to muddy the water, I have a 2-line with reddish brown micarta scales. The paperwork in the box has a 1/73 printers date.

I think Joe H. is close on his dates for the 106. I have a 2 line 106 and it has black micarta piece handles. So, I'm thinking 1971 mfg.. I'll have to check on the sheath for a snap. The wooden handled ones are 83-85 and I have one of those as well. DM

I wonder if ITEs un-buffed axe is a DU model. Anyone see a polished model with a DU Duck head cut-out at a dinner or DU mag. 300

I wonder if ITEs un-buffed axe is a DU model. Anyone see a polished model with a DU Duck head cut-out at a dinner or DU mag. 300

I've been envious of that Duck cutout axe ever since ITE displayed it on a Sunday Picture show. The Kydex handled axe was only used in 1999 & 2000 which gives us an approximate time frame. I had previously diligently searched the projects lists and can find no DU set including an axe. I think most telling is that it came from an ex Buck employee which may be a clue that it is a one off, perhaps a sample that never made it to production. That's a bummer because it suggests I'll never find one for myself.

When I saw it I wondered if it was from a 'lunch box of an ex Buck employee'. As no others exist. DM

Back