Buck 110 1986 with dot?

JAGcustomknives

Specializing in The Buck 110
Does anyone recall which BCCI newsletter the article on the 1987 > Buck 110 (with the dot to the left of the arrow) is in?

Thank You,

Jerad

Last edited:
Take a look at an article by Joe Houser in the December 2005 Newsletter. It is a 1987 stamp, not 1986. The short story is that Joe doesn't know what it means.

Bert

Last edited:
Thank you Sir.
I do believe there was another one with more detail on the knife in question in a newer newsletter.

Last edited:
In those days the company was seeing rapid growth and if notes were taken they were lost. DM

Over the years.......the only answer I recall seeing here is that the strange dot indicated a mid-year change of some kind.

And I don't remember anybody ever claiming to know what the mid-year change actually was.

I have a couple of 112s (one is a Canadian DU model) with two dots left of the 112 and then the 1987 > with another dot at its point.

Nobody seems to know what that might be all about either. As with many things Buck.......it's a mystery.

:)

Testing hardness was one of the possibilities debated over the years, but as Dave says, was rejected as a reason because it was in the wrong place and not likely to be put there by mistake.

I remember a discussion a few years ago about this and the possibility it was as a result of hardness testing, but no consensus was reached on it. I have a couple of Pumas and the testing 'dot' is precisely where a Buck date would be. I think it is a likely explanation.

I remember a discussion a few years ago about this and the possibility it was as a result of hardness testing, but no consensus was reached on it. I have a couple of Pumas and the testing 'dot' is precisely where a Buck date would be. I think it is a likely explanation.

As I recall, the word from Buck was that such hardness testing dots would be located out of sight back under the bolster so that theory was rejected.

If Puma is a little sloppier about their knives........well, I'm not surprised.
;)

This doesn't answer Jags question but Joe Houser once posted that the one dot came about as an indicator the blade was fineblanked. I can't find the link though.

As I recall, the word from Buck was that such hardness testing dots would be ;)located out of sight back under the bolster so that theory was rejected.

I have an 805, Chuck Buck Signature Series, BOS S30V, these have a hardness test dot on the opposite side of the the tang stamp. It is cratered, here's a photo...click on the photo to enlarge and hopefully see what I'm talking about. FWIW, dots I have seen that denote changes are not cratered. Preston
309.JPG

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
OK...more old quotes from Joe Houser... 2-6-2001.

The note says that stamps showing one or more dots are for fineblanked parts only. It also mentioned that the dots were removed in 11/85, obviosly because we then switched to the present date codes.

My knife has a >1987 date code with the dot inside. Does my dot mean something other than "fineblanking" if that marking for fineblanking discontinued in 1985 before date codes?

pj, yes that dot is a better location to be a Rockwell hardness test. And the dots expression looks correct. I had that model back in 2008 and I don't think mine had that. DM

Gee, Makael is dredging up posts from my Young & Dumb days...

All this talk about tang stamp dots and no pictures except Preston's.
Here are two I could find readily for a photo, I know I have others ..
I believe the stamp on the right is like the one in question by the OP (on a 110).

422.with.Dot 003.jpg

Last edited:
Gee, Makael is dredging up posts from my Young & Dumb days...

All this talk about tang stamp dots and no pictures except Preston's.
Here are two I could find readily for a photo, I know I have others ..
I believe the stamp on the right is like the one in question by the OP (on a 110).

View attachment 795767
Peeking into your past. Lol

Here's some dots on a cute little buildout 112 from a few years back. The buildout is rare in itself, but with the odd stamp I consider it extremely uncommon.

Fraught with mystery, these Buck knives. Sometimes I think the Bucks stay up late at night devising ways to confuse us.

IMG_2601 (2).JPG

Thanks........and it was a total surprise.
I just ordered two of the buildouts with polished blades and lo and behold........one had that stamp.
They came at a very reasonable price, too.
:)

Back