1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buck 110 Auto necker

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by SamTheMan4111, Aug 15, 2018.

1. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018
    Hey guys I'm new here. I'm 14 years old and just recently bought my first buck knife. I absolutely love the Buck 110 Auto and want to keep it forever. Buuut I don't really like the sheath. I don't wear jeans very often so I don't have anywhere to put the bulky leather sheath and don't want to just throw it in my pocket because I'm a bit afraid of the knife opening in my pocket or falling out. I have decided to buy a necker for the knife and was wondering if anyone had any good sources. Or any ideas on how to cart it would be appreciated. Thanks!

MolokaiRider likes this.
  2. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Welcome to the forum and the 110 is a great knife, but probably not a good candidate for a neck carry, as it's pretty heavy. There are probably several folks here that could make a neck sheath for that for you but, I'd suggest getting an old leather glove, large as you can find, see if the 110 will fit down into one of the fingers or thumb, if it does, cut that section of the glove off. Make a couple holes through the leather and thread a piece of paracord through so you can 'try it out' weight wise around your neck. For this test the sheath/glove finger would be worn with the opening at the top, so not exactly like a regular neck sheath, but it might allow you to see if you really want to wear that around your neck...it's heavy.

Barring that, you could always still use that cut off piece of glove to be a slip sheath and THEN you could drop the knife into your pocket while in that slip sheath and you would not have to worry about it opening in your pocket.
    G2

hughd likes this.
  3. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    Wise words from the guru of folder sheaths, heed the advice.

The 110 is rather heavy already, the auto is downright brick like by comparison.

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  4. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018
    Well it's not just that I don't want it to open in my pocket it's that I tend to ride dirtbike in shorts and I don't want it to fall out. I just thought a necker would be a good way to keep it on me and have an eye on it at all times. I'm not opposed to the idea of a pocket slip I just want some way to have the best of all 3 to 4 worlds

5. hughd

hughd Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 18, 2014
  6. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018
    That does look pretty cool but the problem arises again...I don't wear jeans very often. I typically wear athletic shorts that don't have belt loops. That's why I wanted a necker. I don't want it to fall out and I need something that doesn't require a belt or belt loops. I want something I can use as a necker that also has a belt loop or something like that so I can wear it on my belt when I do wear jeans.

7. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    mitch4ging likes this.
  8. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018
    Do you mean the one for the army knife or for the auto?

9. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Auto one
    G2

10. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018
    But does it have enough retention to hold the knife while on the cord. When I think of a necker I think of it holding the knife how you would take it out and that usually meant upside down.

11. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018
    But does it have enough retention to hold the knife while on the cord. When I think of a necker I think of it holding the knife how you would take it out and that usually meant upside down.

12. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018

13. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Yep I know how you want to carry it and that style of sheath will hold it very well. It takes time to form tightly around the knife so it will stay put
    G2

14. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    This is one I made back when I used to dye the leather you can see that the knife is retained securely

There might be someone who can make you a kydex one also which might suit your needs better
    G2

15. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018
    That looks perfect you said you could make one?

16. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Yes you can order one you can email me at chiseledge at yahoo dot com
    We can discuss details if you want
    Thanks
    G2

17. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    You're going to ride a dirt bike in athletic shorts and have a 110 auto on a cord around your neck? Ahh, the bulletproof teen years!--KV

18. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018
    Well I've ridden enough in the last few years to be comfortable in athletic shorts. And I've done a lot worse then carry a knife around my neck

19. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Ever dropped a dirt bike at speed in athletic shorts with a 1 lb weight tied around your neck? Wear a helmet?--KV

20. SamTheMan4111

SamTheMan4111

Aug 15, 2018
    I ALWAYS wear a helmet. I have wrecked hard before but never with a knife around my neck.