Buck 110 clip point broken tip - Modify it to a drop point?

I personally have not ever broken a tip on my 110's. But if I ever did, I reckon I would just re-profile the blade to a modified drop point. I have done this on other blades so why not on a Buck 110? I actually prefer drop points over clips and don't own a factory 110 drop point so...... Anyone out there done this? I would love to see your result.

I would not trade in my modified 440C blade for a full blade of 420 steel. When I find old 110's with a 1/4" tip broke off, I modify them into a decent shaped blade that I can live with. I'll admit it looks some like a snub-nose but it works for slicing, skinning and many other knife chores. It will not work for digging out a splinter. But I have other blades for that. Besides you can pick these up usually at a good price. I do them on
a stone by hand. I grind, shaping from the bottom up. Not Top Down (that way you loose all your belly). I'll get a picture of one up for you to see. DM

nice way to salvage it and keep it working. good job Sir.

It is not hard to re-profile a blade if it is only the tip that is broken. I have done this several times. Of course, Buck will save you the trouble if you should ever break one. Just send it in.

I have done the same but sometime the tip of the blade sticks up to high. For this I remove some of the kick until the blade is not a cutting hazard.

Life is too short to spend it with an ugly knife......too long, for that matter.

Just send it to Buck, get a blade that looks like it's supposed to look. They'll polish it up for you, too.

I've only broken a blade on a small 300 series and it it reshaped pretty well. I thought Davids look ed OK too.

The middle knife is a 3 dot polished blade that someone used improperly and broke the tip. Then put it up for sale at a show. Just showing
how a broken blade tip can be remodeled and you still have a useful tool. Thanks jb. DM

Looks good, I've done that on a few kitchen knives and a few pocket knives that I got cheap. Also an abused 119 that I got for $10, but it ended up still a clip point.

ed, sometimes you have to remove some at the kick. Mine was about 1/16" proud and I took it off the top.
Pond, yes it still ends up being a clip point. No way to help with that unless you get a drop point blade and replace it yourself. Thanks, Jb. DM

Last edited:
I actually saw a 119 converted to a drop point here on this forum, looked cool, but seemed to be a lot of work.

I saw that one and it looked like he took off too much metal to pull it off.
I just didn't want to give up a 440C blade that was otherwise hardly used. DM

I saw that one and it looked like he took off too much metal to pull it off.
I just didn't want to give up a 440C blade that was otherwise hardly used. DM

Yeah a shortened folder looks wrong if you go too far. The 119, on the other hand, can get shortened and still look good.

Back