Buck 122…NOT the 122 Nemo

Okay…..here is another example of a number used for more than one model Buck knife.

These are fillet knives, not the 124/122 Nemo. :)

I have two NIB 122 fillet knives…one from Bass Pro Shop and one with no Bass Pro markings. (The two knives in the rear of the pictures)
The used 123 in the front of the pictures is a fillet knife from Bass Pro Shop that I have used to fillet fish and general kitchen duties since 1984.
These all come with nice brown leather sheaths. One sheath is stamped 122 and two of the sheaths are stamped 123…even though I have two 122's and only one 123.

There is not a lot of information that I have found about these knives.

I know that the 123 used knife is was purchased by me in 1984 from Bass Pro Shop. It has a regular three line tang stamp of "Buck 123 USA".
The two NIB 122 fillet knives are identical in size to the 123, but have three line inverted tang stamps of "Buck 122 USA"

The BCCI model number site has nothing more than a mention of these models numbers. Does anyone have anymore information about these and maybe why the different model numbers for what looks like the same knives??

Mark, those are cool... My sons wife has one... The 122... I've been trying to get it off of her for some time now... :eek:
Maybe someday... :D

:)

The 122 fillet knife ran from 1984 thru 1988 according to Joe's fillet knife data sheet. They had a retail price of 38.50 and the quantity made were very low. I would assume ( don't hold me to it ) that because the 122 was popular Buck wanted to keep the knife in play and ran a bunch with LakeMate blades and the nice wooden handle. I have the same 123 and of course had the 122. This would be my guess, Buck Knives does this type of thing all the time, as you already know. They could have run out of the 122 blades and used 123 blades to complete the BPS order.

The 122 fillet knife ran from 1984 thru 1988 according to Joe's fillet knife data sheet. They had a retail price of 38.50 and the quantity made were very low. I would assume ( don't hold me to it ) that because the 122 was popular Buck wanted to keep the knife in play and ran a bunch with LakeMate blades and the nice wooden handle. I have the same 123 and of course had the 122. This would be my guess, Buck Knives does this type of thing all the time, as you already know. They could have run out of the 122 blades and used 123 blades to complete the BPS order.

Thanks Matt….and thanks for that middle knife to add to my collection!!

I think this may be another one of those unsolved Buck mysteries.
On the BCCI model history list it says the 122 is the "Ultimate Fillet", the 123 is the "Lakemate" and a 126 is listed as the "Bass Pro Fillet".

I'm guessing the normal 123 Lakemate has the Kraton type handle, but mine has the wood handle with the Bass Pro blade stamp.

You said the 122 ran from 1984 through 1988 according to Joe. I know I bought my Bass Pro 123 "Lakemate" in 1984 because that was the year I bought a new boat to go with it. :)

I know one other thing…having used that wood handled 123 for 30 years now filleting fish and general kitchen duties that I love that knife!!

...and a 126 is listed as the "Bass Pro Fillet".

I have not seeen a 126 "Bass Pro Fillet" but the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Fillet is listed as a 126 also.
(Thanks Matt for that one!)

Did Joe do a Fillet article in the newsletter? What Month/year is that reference?

I have not seeen a 126 "Bass Pro Fillet" but the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Fillet is listed as a 126 also.
(Thanks Matt for that one!)

Did Joe do a Fillet article in the newsletter? What Month/year is that reference?

I don't believe I've ever seen a Bass Pro 126 either. I was just going by the model history on the BCCI website.

According to the data sheet there is supposed to be a BPS 126 with a wooden handle. I haven't seen one either, maybe it was just a mistake. Joe did a fillet article in 2012 I think but I do't remember the month. I just had him send me the data sheet he used to write the article.

Were there ever 125's or 127's with the wood handles?

Last edited:
Were ther ever 125's or 127's with the wood handles?

I've never seen any….but would LOVE to have one of each for my collection!!

Thanks Armand for finding and posting that picture of the fillet knives!!

I've never seen a 125, 126 or a 127 with wood handles either... But I'll be looking for them now...
I use to pass on the fish knives with wood handles when I would buy collections...
Not no more... :D

I need to find a better picture... :eek:

Last edited:
In that previous post, D-Rig posted a picture for them bay of the one I had bought. I wasn't smart enough to do it.

In that previous post, D-Rig posted a picture for them bay of the one I had bought. I wasn't smart enough to do it.

Buck did make a 126 but there are limited numbers, as a matter of fact there are limited numbers on all wooden handle fillets produced by buck.

It looks different from the other ones... I was thinking the handle was going to look like my son's and stumps ...

Back