BUCK 184 Buckmaster: What's in the handle

Hi,
I recently traded for a TOTALLY AWESOME Buckmaster. The knife is in great shape and it came with the black sheath, no spikes, and some stuff in the handle.
I've been trying to research whats original to my particular year buckmaster with mixed results. From what I understand, the sheath should have at least one pouch, or is it two? I know I'm missing the spikes and I'll eventually find them here or on scambay, is there a specific spike mated to my knife or were all the spikes pretty much the same?
My knife also came with some stuff in the handle. The compass it came with doesn't appear to be original. From what I can tell, the compass my blade was supposed to have was oil filled. This one has no fluid, fits in the handle but doesn't fit in the pommel.
There is also some other stuff in the handle, some matches, a tube with needles in it, a baggie with fishing hooks, some metal wire, some black string, and some matches wrapped in foil. Is any of this stuff original to the knife? I found a post where a guy was describing finding similar items in his handle, but I can't find it now so I can't post a link to it. Anyways, heres some pics.

I purchased two early ones back when they were available and both came with matching spikes (black or stainless). Both came with the plastic sheath and had one pouch each. Extra pouches were available, but were optional (I purchased the second pouch from the dealer in both cases.). The pouch, on both, came with a nice oil-filled compass (with cord lanyard) inside. Neither had any items inside the handle; none of the items shown in your picture was included. As I recall, some earlier produced may have had additional items packed and I think that I remember an optional long pouch that might have held a folding knife or such. The Buckmaster book would have additional details. Yours is a very nice example. Good luck with your search for pins. I think that your line attachment stub has been reversed; both of mine flared towards the rear of the knife, not the handle. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had any luck finding spikes or info on weather anything came in the early handles.

Does anyone know what the spikes were intended for? I could never figure out that feature. Neat knives, tho'.

Does anyone know what the spikes were intended for? I could never figure out that feature. Neat knives, tho'.
YEP!

The Spikes(pins) were ORIGINALLY an anchor point that could hold up to 275 lbs. At the request of a Navy SEAL Commander back in 1983. That idea was drawn on a bar napkin! Their were Four Types of PINS made for Buck Knives Model 184 ... Sand/media blasted grey LONG, black oxide LONG , sand/media blasted grey Short,black oxide short.... The ones you need are the sandblasted grey LONG.. Hope this helps..

Nothing came from the BUCK Factory that fit in the handle... The pouches were an option however almost everyone ordered at least 1 pouch... YOUR BuckMaster is the First Commercial Variation #1 (aka The Three Liner) dont believe everthing you read on the internet beause if you do you will think you have one of 2500 These THREE LINERS were made from Nov 1984 till June 1985 Their were 12,000 made est with this stamping... Hope this helps Rich

Back