BUCK 371 aka the Wal-Mart Special model or China Buck

Got it August for 19:98 at my Local Store , one in the Display had perfect fit finish and snap. The one I unboxed at Home had a very gritty sheep's foot blade after a solid cleaning and 2 of the Scale pins were proud on each side. So the following Tuesday it got shipped to Buck in Idaho. It came back 4 weeks later just right. It in my pocket right now . So for the time beening it will be a weekend knife till it can work it into my Stockman Rotation . I am still field testing an Iron Wood Taylor 8OT I got near the first of the year.

14446158_10208968165314896_1454921190227154035_n.jpg

I have one small Chinese made single blade Buck folder that I believe was also purchased from Wally World back before I really cared about quality over saving money. It went dull relatively quickly and I haven't been able to put a decent edge on it since it was new.

As far as I recall, It was my first Chinese made Buck and as long as I can afford it...hopefully my last.

Never again. :thumbdn:

I buy Buck slipjoints at BassPro as gifts and I often have to look at more than one to get one perfect enough for a gift.

I carried it all weekend and it looks great and cut what I need it too.

Sure, they all look great in the beginning and cut fine. The real question is...for how long?

Most assuredly w/ knives you definitely get what you pay for and as long as you FULLY understand that I'm sure you will be satisfied w/ your purchase.

My advice? Make sure you have some kind of small sharpening apparatus and a back-up blade if you intend taking your China Buck out in the sticks.

I got several pocket or glove box Smith's sharpeners. Plus I got pocket stones . I generally take my USA fixed and Stockman Old Timers out to the sticks.
So far the edge held up opening mail and cutting fruit and other around the house stuff.

Chinese made Bucks are still Bucks and should hold sn edge, if not they are still backed by Buck's exceptional warranty.

Chinese made Bucks are still Bucks and should hold sn edge, if not they are still backed by Buck's exceptional warranty.

Yes I sent it back the 2nd day I had it for proud pins and a gritty Sheep's foot blade. The blades are nice and sharp and have held their edge. It just soft on the closing cause I have to help the sheepsfoot close all the way.

Well the only complainant is that this series after some research have soft walk n talk. So into the rotation it will go.

All 3 blades cut well, Spey and Clip have a 4 on walk n talk but the sheepsfoot 2 on the walk and has to be helped home on the Walk .

Final analysis
You want to check it out before carrying it home. The fit of the scales etc was great except for the soft sheeps foot blade. It saddens me I have got knives that are over 50 years old with perfect walk n talk and this Buck doesn't.

Back