Buck 655, best knife for the buck?

I have to ask. Now i'm not knocking the nighthawk. My brother has one and it is a nice looking knife. I myself almost bought one, may still buy one.But how come so many folks sings the praises of the nighthawk but then ridicule the size of the 119 as being to large for everything? I'm not trying to start a fight I'm just wondering. Is it becaues the nighthawk is a cool military/modern design???

I have to ask. Now i'm not knocking the nighthawk. My brother has one and it is a nice looking knife. I myself almost bought one, may still buy one.But how come so many folks sings the praises of the nighthawk but then ridicule the size of the 119 as being to large for everything? I'm not trying to start a fight I'm just wondering. Is it becaues the nighthawk is a cool military/modern design???

Nighthawk also comes in "short" (655)
I like the 119, I stated I thought that the 120 was too large.
Maybe its the blade shape difference between the 119 and nighthawk?
I like the nighthawk "better" because it is more of a stout blade (to me) better for utility and chopping, the 119 is more of a huntin knife...

Ok. I apoligize on misunderstanding. I also forgot there was a short version of the nighthawk. Thaks. Once again I'm just being nosey why people like certain things.

Ok. I apoligize on misunderstanding. I also forgot there was a short version of the nighthawk. Thaks. Once again I'm just being nosey why people like certain things.

Its also not about which ones someone doesnt like, it about which ones we like more :D

They are all good and have their place. We all can't like the same girl ;)

I just watched the destruction video of the nighthawk. I have to say I now have the utmost respect for the nighthawk. Only problem is now there is another knife I need to buy as a user. Man I'm going to be broke.

The 655 (short Nighthawk) and 119 are almost exactly the same dimesnions: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464472&highlight=nighthawk

I agree with what ION said. To me the 119 is more of a hunter where I feel it's a tad too big for gutting, skinning, etc. I see the Nighthawk as more of a rugged survival knife where size has it's advantages.

KY: FYI most Wal-Marts have the 655 (short Nighthawk) for $39.99 which is as cheap as any of the mail order places but you don't have to pay shipping.

That was a good post. Thanks. Does the short 655 come in plain edge or do you have to go to the larger one for plain edge. I'm not a big fan of serrations. I have a 110 with serrations, they have a place but i find more times than not they are useless for my intended use.

The 655 has serrations and the longer 650 has the plain edge. I have seen a few early 655's with a plain edge but they are somewhat rare.

The 655 has serrations and the longer 650 has the plain edge. I have seen a few early 655's with a plain edge but they are somewhat rare.

The unserrated 655 is sweet!
I have only seen 2 of them though unfortunately :(

Nope, that one is a factory bead blast finish (with a few sheath marks thrown in...). I don't think I've ever seen them in satin like wh4f mentions.

651nighthawkhunter.jpg
[/IMG]

By the way, IMBW but this picture sure looks like a composite to me. Am I missing something here?

The concept of a plain bladed 655 is a good one. I am not sure why Buck has elected not to offer such a knife, it might be that the larger Nighthawk represents their idea of a 'do it all' military style knife. The 655 is a great value for the money. I have used mine for every chore I could think of and the thing keeps ticking. I certainly don't have to worry about breaking the thing...it is my EDC. And yes, I do favor a kydex sheath in such a role.

It would be no problem at all to offer the 655 in a plain version. I think that Buck would sell a huge number of such knives. The company however, does not as a rule respond to any suggestions the public might have when it comes to knife design. Chuck could easily walk in one morning and have the machines fashioning the non-serrated model in about one afternoon. Making a 5/16 inch model (which I'd like) would represent more of a chore. I always thought that a thicker blade would give some of the smaller Busse cutlery a run for the money, plus you'd have a nearly stain-free knife at a superb price.

As far as the 119 goes: this is Buck's all time winning blade along with the 110. The steel is fairly strong in the 119 for hunting applications, but lacks the strength of the 655. The edge on my 119 is easier to sharpen due to the thinner profile. In my estimation, both the 119 and 655 have superb handles.

And what do you mean by "composite" on the 651?

It looks like the picture is made by cutting and pasting together selected portions of different pictures. For example, look at the end of the fuller, where that weird triangle is (what is that anyway?). If you zoom in, you'll see a vertical line running spine to edge and the the colors are slightly different on either side. It looks like a join line to me.

It looks like the picture is made by cutting and pasting together selected portions of different pictures. For example, look at the end of the fuller, where that weird triangle is (what is that anyway?). If you zoom in, you'll see a vertical line running spine to edge and the the colors are slightly different on either side. It looks like a join line to me.
Download the pic to your drive.
Use the MS PAINT program.
Open the file you downloaded.
Go to VIEW then ZOOM then CUSTOM
Bump it to 600 or 800%
Look at the area Blue Sky is referencing.

Back