Buck 701

Hi everyone,
I recently was given this Buck 701 that was found clearing out an estate and was hoping to get some information on it. I've been collecting knives for only a couple years, and most of mine are modern folders, so I don't have much knowledge about traditional knives. I've read that 701s made before 1986 are more rare and collectible, and wanted to know how I can tell when it was made. The packaging and paperwork seem pretty old, but the knife has just been stored brand-new by the looks of it. I might like to carry it as a gentleman's knife, but if it's something rare with some value, I might rather sell or trade it for some thing I'm more interested in, but at this point I'd just like to know more about it. Thanks in advance.

I'd maybe post in the Buck specific subforum, there are avid buck fans there who are bound to know.

Let us move this question to the realm of all Buck knowledge... The Buck Knives Forum.

Very nice knife and looks to be in mint condition.

Buck started using date codes in 1986. They used symbols to indicate the year of manufacture and they stamped the symbol on the tang just to the right of the pattern number. Your knife has no symbol meaning that it was made prior to 1986.

I was told on another forum that the 700 series ran from 1979-2001 so if that is the case then your knife was made between 1979-1985. With so many of these having been made, they are not what I would call rare. You could probably find a few mint examples out there at reasonable prices.

If you collect knives then I think that this knife is a worthy piece for your collection whether you decide to carry it or not. I recommend hanging onto it.

Yours has a script badge on the scale but a non script BUCK blade stamp.
The info Rail supplied about the blade puts yours 79-85 but we need to know when the badge went from script to block. Looks like yours was the year of the change knife???

The 700 series ran from 1979-2001, that year they were removed from the catalog. (Rail's point) This was a up grade series from the 300's. They were given a equine name and format. the 701 is named the Mustang. It came out in 1981. The block script began to be used in 1984 or 85. That is the date of your model. ( Max's point) The frame & bolsters are of stainless steel and polished. The handles were of walnut. Each blade had it's own back spring. Handles were beefier. A classy slip lock of the era. Blades of 440A steel, accepted knowledge among collectors. This series is a great historical series of Buck's invention. These model new in the book with papers run higher than the 300 series. Something like 70-90, where I see them at shows. I have the entire series all with boxes and papers. They were not easy for me to procure 20 years ago. DM

Last edited:
Dave, are you sure about the 440A or is that just a typo? I think it is established that Camillus was likely using 440A on the contract knives but I do not believe Buck ever used it. Buck's standard steel was switching from 440C to 425m in the early 80's, about 81 or 82 I think. The handles were dyed resin impregnated birch.

For whatever it's worth, I bought a brand new 703 in the early 1980's. Maybe 1980 or 1981 and I remember being under the impression at that time that the handles on my knife were Birchwood. I don't recall where I got that idea or how I knew it but that is what I remember.

The blade steel was "high-carbon high-chrome steel from Sweden" in the dealer press release from Larry Oden in a BCCI newsletter about the 700 series. He goes on to say that there's no indication of exactly what was used on the early 700s. Changed to 425m in '84-'85 as well.

In Larry O's article I read on this series he never mentioned the blade steel. I discussed this with other collectors at the 20 year reunion and they held the consensus to be 440A was the blade steel of the early knives in this series. DM

In Larry O's article I read on this series he never mentioned the blade steel. I discussed this with other collectors at the 20 year reunion and they held the consensus to be 440A was the blade steel of the early knives in this series. DM

June 2003, pg4.

Of course, that was 2003 and I suspect more details have come to light, but this was the only formal mention I knew of.

He wrote a history on the 700 series in Blade's Guide To Knives. On pages 512 & 513 appears the history of this series. Therein is no mention of handle material or blade steel.
I'm familiar with the article you speak. I'll have to dig and find that issue. The book I referenced was published in 2005. It's possible some items he called into question about the series later. DM

I don't own a 701 but I have three 703's in my collection. Two from 1986 and one pre 1986. There was apparently a design change that I find interesting and I thought it wouldn't hurt to share it in this thread in case anyone else finds it interesting.

The 703's in the photo below were both made in 1986. The top knife has two backsprings and the Clip and Sheepsfoot blades on the same end. The bottom knife has three backsprings and the Clip and Spey blades on the same end.

Two spring model from 1986. There's a liner between the two backsprings.

Three spring model from 1986. Liner is replaced by a third backspring.

Just another little tidbit that makes these 700 series Buck knives fun to collect.

Yes, that change occurred in 1986. The 2 bladed models also got springs for each blade. Thanks for the photos. DM

Thanks everyone for the responses! It's nice to hear more about this knife and the series. It really is a nice looking knife, but I'm thinking I might look into selling it after all. In the condition it's in, I just think someone who collects these would probably appreciate it more and hopefully it would be something they've been looking for. It just came to me so I'm not attached to it, but it does make me want a traditional knife in my collection. Anyway, thanks for the information everybody!

Having read Larry's earlier 2003 article on the 700 series. In it in paragraph 4 he admits he's unsure if the blade steel came from Sweden.? In his opening paragraph he says, these knives were designed by Buck. But no mention of being made by Buck. That would have been the perfect time to say it, IF they were. I think these were first made by Camillus. Hence, collectors think the early steel is 440A. Later models WERE made by Buck at which time they were using 425M. That's the way several piece this series together. We may never know the exact details of it. DM

Back