Buck fixed blade Fridays

Small Skinner, 0113WSBOTM-B, August 2022, CMP154. Scalloped Honduran Rosewood handle, NS bolsters.
DcZ0aTq.jpeg

This week for repeat attachment Friday I have a model 193 Alpha Hunter. The fixed blade Alpha Hunter was introduced in the 2002 catalog and last seen in 2013. Related models were the non gut hook 194 and rubber handled versions 693 and 694. The knife I show here is a Cabela's Alaskan Guide version. Rosewood Dymondwood handles, S30V blade steel, and a Titanium Nitride coated blade. I believe the TiN blades gave way over the years to DLC (Diamond Like Coating) and then to the current Ceracote. The blade markings are stamped, I'm not sure what year Buck switched to laser etching. The box label date is 9-22-05. Note that there is no date code or Idaho logo.

view

view

(repost from 2017) I have a MFK for FBF. To me it looks like a short M9 but does not have a bayonet attachment on the handle. I believe the MFK to be the commercial retail version of the CUK. I found reference that about 4,000 blades were made by Buck about 1991. Mine is marked "Pat Pend/USA", etched not stamped. there is also the dolphin etched on the blade. My plastic sheath is without any markings. I wonder if these were about the last blades Buck did for Phrobis before they went separate ways. At separation, Buck bought out Phrobis's inventory and sold it off. My box shows that the Phrobis address was covered over with stickers. Later MFK's were made by Marto in Spain. Other pictures I have seen of the MFK show that it came with 3 different guards the user could interchange to suit. The knife breaks down easily into 4 parts. The handle, guard, and rod/nut on mine are lightweight plastic and feel kinda "cheap". Not sure how durable they are.
view

Last edited:
(repost from 2017) I have a MFK for FBF. To me it looks like a short M9 but does not have a bayonet attachment on the handle. I believe the MFK to be the commercial retail version of the CUK. I found reference that about 4,000 blades were made by Buck about 1991. Mine is marked "Pat Pend/USA", etched not stamped. there is also the dolphin etched on the blade. My plastic sheath is without any markings. I wonder if these were about the last blades Buck did for Phrobis before they went separate ways. At separation, Buck bought out Phrobis's inventory and sold it off. My box shows that the Phrobis address was covered over with stickers. Later MFK's were made by Marto in Spain. Other pictures I have seen of the MFK show that it came with 3 different guards the user could interchange to suit. The knife breaks down easily into 4 parts. The handle, guard, and rod/nut on mine are lightweight plastic and feel kinda "cheap". Not sure how durable they are.
view
I've read the same Roger, that the MFK was the commercial counterpart of the CUK. Also read in an eBay ad that there was a naked version for Desert Storm, don't know if that is just sales hype or not, have not seen it mentioned in any of the literature I've read..
Some 8-9 years ago I found two naked MFK blades in a flea market. One I gave to Craig(DOGPOUND77) at the 30th BCCI get-to-gather the other I sent to Lan-Cay and had them put a handle on it for me.
The MFK I found in the same flea market but my MFK's sheath is not complete like yours. I'm glad for what I have as these are not easily found.
djPKYv9.jpg

I've read the same Roger, that the MFK was the commercial counterpart of the CUK. Also read in an eBay ad that there was a naked version for Desert Storm, don't know if that is just sales hype or not, have not seen it mentioned in any of the literature I've read..
Some 8-9 years ago I found two naked MFK blades in a flea market. One I gave to Craig(DOGPOUND77) at the 30th BCCI get-to-gather the other I sent to Lan-Cay and had them put a handle on it for me.
The MFK I found in the same flea market but my MFK's sheath is not complete like yours. I'm glad for what I have as these are not easily found.
djPKYv9.jpg

I also had a 'Sterile' version some years ago, cant remember where I got it though.
I put my own handle on it from micarta and used it in the kayak for a while until I sold it off, should have kept it!
(Reportedly made for the SEALS for GW1, I do remember having something on paper in regards to that, but sold with the knife.)
Mine was the same as the one on the right in the above photo, which is the 'First type' top edge, eg sharpened BOTH sides.
Not sure if this helps, But this blueprint shows the 'second type' top edge, which is not beveled both sides, but instead is like the M9 Bayonet.
This was done to make the tip stronger as the first type was prone to breaking off.
shAw5XOh.png

I also had a 'Sterile' version some years ago, cant remember where I got it though.
I put my own handle on it from micarta and used it in the kayak for a while until I sold it off, should have kept it!
(Reportedly made for the SEALS for GW1, I do remember having something on paper in regards to that, but sold with the knife.)
Mine was the same as the one on the right in the above photo, which is the 'First type' top edge, eg sharpened BOTH sides.
Not sure if this helps, But this blueprint shows the 'second type' top edge, which is not beveled both sides, but instead is like the M9 Bayonet.
This was done to make the tip stronger as the first type was prone to breaking off.
shAw5XOh.png
Good information, thanks.

Back