1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Buck Heat treating ??

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by ericvar101, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ericvar101

ericvar101

Feb 24, 2012
    I am interested in buying a Buck knife (spacifically the 337BKS-B Paradigm - Pro ) it is made with premium S30V steel, but as you know, heat treating is as important as blade material when it comes to blade quality, but I have not been able to find any information on the hardness of the blade. Does anyone know how I would find the HRC(Rockwell hardness scale) rating on knives made by Buck. they are commonly listed for other knives I own made by Benchmade and Sypderco, but I cant find anything on Bucks website.

2. Dunny153

Dunny153

Sep 22, 2011
    I wouldnt worry to much with Buck knives. Their heat treat is done by the best in the business Paul Bos. Any steel you get from Buck will probably be as good as it can get heat treat wise

3. Kyui Su Kim

Kyui Su Kim Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2000
    I do not know the HRC on their knives, but I would imagine all the major companies would be around the same area. I have one of the Paradigm Pros, and I have yet to notice anything bad about the S30V. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that hardness is not the whole of what makes up a good steel?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. ericvar101

ericvar101

Feb 24, 2012
    The hardness is absolutely important the quaility of the blade. It would be nice if Buck will give you this information. I'm sure the Buck will be fine, but I know exactly what my Benchmades (581 Barage & & 746 mini-Onslaught) are rated at becuase BM tell you. It would be nice if Buck would give you that info.

if you do a google search you'll find some good reading on the importance of the harness of your blade. its evident when you look at your blade under a microscope.

5. karesz68

karesz68

Apr 22, 2008
  6. trevytrev

trevytrev

May 4, 2010
    Here is a link to some info on Paul Bos. When it comes to heat treat he is the man.

7. Kyui Su Kim

Kyui Su Kim Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2000
    I think you misunderstood what I typed. I did not say it was not important, only that it is not the only factor to good steel. If I remember correctly, a very hard steel will be difficult to sharpen and may be prone to chipping.

8. BG42EDGE

BG42EDGE Banned BANNED

Nov 6, 2009
    Buck stays around 58 (give or take one or two) on most everything as far as I know.

You don't want to get that S30V too hard or it will chip.

9. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    Paul Bos retired,but trained the guy who does the heat treating for Buck.I can't think of the guys name,maybe someone here can help me with that.I think Buck knives blades are some of the best,when it comes to the heat treatment.

10. GundaManiac

GundaManiac Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2011
  11. imafritz

imafritz

Dec 30, 2008
    I hope Buck will update thier website listed above to include the HRC of the Sandvik steels

12. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, its in there 2011 catalog, real easy to find and states they heat treat S30V to 59-61. Plus, I agree with Kim, heat treating is important but there are other factors of equal level. ie. blade profile, edge grind, steel mfg., ect. Come to mind. DM

13. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, the Sandvik steel is in there as well on the same page. Buck heat treats it to 58-60RC. DM

14. Zidfeldts

Zidfeldts

Dec 28, 2010
    As far as I can tell, from all the reading that I have done, Paul Bos set the standard for heat treating and others have had to play catch up.

15. BG42EDGE

BG42EDGE Banned BANNED

Nov 6, 2009
    Actually, Hoyt Buck set the standard.

His knives sold well and gained popularity because he had a superior heat treat.

Bos continued that standard.

:)

16. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Paul Bos told me that he targets 59.5-60 for S30V. And I seem to recall Chuck Buck saying that was what they were running it at in production knives. Knarfeng's Rc test would appear to confirm this.

17. Jeff O

Jeff O

Feb 29, 2000
    ...Just because a blade has a high RC rating does not mean that it has been properly heat treated. Buck is second to none in the that department. I don't worry too much about the RC rating on a Buck knives because I know they have maximized the potential of the steel. ...My two cents.

18. McGrain

McGrain

Jan 7, 2012
    Paul Farner, that guy's been working under BOS for 10+ years before taking over. Pretty safe to say he is as good as Paul Bos.
    Though he does have a different name, we will just call him BOS2.0 out of convience.

19. 110 Dave

110 Dave Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    ah .. i have two centiveveo's to add to this thread

holt hardened hoes then later in life made knives for army air gi's near his home

he tought al to make them from files and large saw blades
    it is my understanding that they were sescussfull because
    the took their knives to a higher hardness then most every one else did
    and they offered sharpening service on them

the general idea back in the 40's and 50's was softer so it was easy to sharpen
    esp if you used one a lot and again softer blades did not break so easy also

when buck incorpated they went to stainless steel a 440C
    but hardened it much more them others did

bucks oven befor BOS and the 3 dots got hot but
    did not have but one heat sensor in the center
    this would allow at times for the center batch to be great but
    some on the edge might not get as hard through and through
    i KNOW from my 1960's and 1970's knives that some knives when warn 1/16 back
    they would get to the point they would not take an edge

this improved drasticly in the 3 dots
    as
    Bos took and put high temp fans in the oven and more heat sensors
    thus every blade got the true good temper that most bucks had
    Bos was an early expermenter in cold treatment of blades also

so ... i hope i am not wrong on the above
    if so
    SOME ONE CORRECT ME !!
    ;)

20. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    In 1950- Emerson Case of Robeson Knives perfected the freeze treatment of stainless steel blades. Many heat treaters began discovering this cryogenic treatment thur his notes later, 15-20yrs. later. As he was the fore runner. Information came much slower then because no internet. However, Buck was one of the first cutlery companies to move in this direction hence, good heat treating is synonymous with their name. DM