Buck Hoodlum

Ditto on the very light---as in, so light I'm really not sure I like it. Granted, that's only an impression as I've not yet had the opportunity to do anything with it and am going only on feel, and also I do have to admit up front to being from the Busse/Fehrman/Bill Siegle school of heavy duty large fixed blades, so my criteria for how heavy such a knife "should" be may not represent everyone's, but it just doesn't feel like the Hoodlum would have any power in a swing. I mean, it'll have speed, and probably run away from those knives mentioned above when slashing light vegetation, but it still won't keep up with a machete in that use, and I'm not sure it'd make it through even a 3/4" green limb in one swing--though again, that's perception as opposed to experience so I may be very wrong! As a splitting/batoning tool it'll probably keep up with the meatier boys just fine. I dunno...when I get back home I'm going to take a more serious look at it. Construction, execution of grinds, factory edge and finish were all excellent, which I expected coming out of Buck. Agree that there are some sharp corners in the micarta that will have to go, but that's the work of two minutes with an emery file.

I got out to use this bad boy!!

Buck Hood 1SF 001 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 002 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 003 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 005 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 009 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 012 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 013 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 014 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 015 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 017 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 019 by jclservices, on Flickr

Buck Hood 1SF 024 by jclservices, on Flickr

I don't one many large knives, but I am glad I got this one, Ron hit a home run!!

THANKS !!

Thanks for the pics jcl! I had myself talked out of getting one of those, now I think you changed my mind back to ordering one.... :D

Nice action pics too! ;)

Thanks for the photos. Boy I sure wish Buck would hurry up and make this one available on their website :thumbup:

I got mine yesterday. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but as stated above, it is very light compared to other choppers. When I get a chance, I'll get some pics to compare it to some other knives.

From Top
Swamp Rat Chopweiler
Busse Battle Mistress
Buck Hoodlum
Busse NMSFNO
Buck 110

DSCF0117.jpg

GEEZUSSSS,I told myself i wouldn't even consider one,now all i can think of is getting one to use while baiting the bear baitsites in august,always twisting my rubber arm you fellas r...

Man I am glad that someone else posted up some pics !!

I was thinking that I was the only person to get one!!

Thanks!

Just got mine and love it. I didn't realize how light it is, and sharp right out of the box. I want to chop something...

Thanks Tony!
I think I "need" one now. :D

You won't regret it Jim! Acquired through a good buck dealer they can be had for a very reasonable price. Very sharp from the factory. I believe most will find the finger choil to be very usable.

Anybody done any chopping with it? Not that I'm planning on replacing an axe with it but considering the weight vs. speed discussion I've been aching to find out how it chops.

(Waiting on mine from the second run since getting card scammed on a pre-order.)

i wish this was available on the buck website so i could use my buck collectors discount on it.

Back