Buck knife country of origin

I recently bought a Buck NXT with the single piece black handle as a gift for my younger brother. Really a very nice knife for the price.

I noticed the blade says "BUCK USA" down by the pivot, but the sticker on the box said "Assembeled in Mexico". This seems to be contradictory. I supose that the blade could have been made in America, and then assembeled into the handle accross the border; thereby making the markings accurate. Regardless, when somebody sees "BUCK USA" stamped on the blade they are going to assume that they are buying an American made knife.

I would appreciate any insight or information that would help to clear this up.

I was wondering what this means, too. My 303 and one other one (odyssey?) is marked the same way. I hope this ins't a trend.:eek:

Joe H. posted the following in November of 2000:

"Yes, we have our 300 series assembled in Mexico now. Actually since we are located so close to the border and a large portion of our work force is hispanic anyway, it does not bother me. I hope this does not come across in a negative way, i certainly mean no disrespect. Several of our VERY long time employees actually live in Mexico and drive up here everyday. The components are still made 'up here' and they are still held to the same high quality standards. In fact, our Quality personel visit the plant at least 2 times a week to keep the communication going."

Thanks, mnblade. I don't really have a big problem with it, but around here we have lost some jobs to Mexico, and other countries as well. It's kind of a sensitive issue in some places (I do field service on control systems, so I visit many plants around here). Funny, my jobs requires me to travel to Mexico from time to time, and start up and service control systems in some of the newer plants that have gone in there in recent years. Generally speaking, I haven't had any problems, and the people have all been great to work with. I just hate to see American companies close plants here to move to Mexico or overseas. That doesn't seem very American. Expansions to these areas don't bother me so much, though. So, as long as Buck (or Shrade, Camillus, etc...) doesn't close the shop and move production out of country, I will continue to support them.

Great search, mnblade. i remembered reading that one once you had brought it up.
i also have a 303 and there is absolutly nothing wrong with it.my NXT's are both made here.Look at it this way, Buck seems to have had less problems with Mexico assembly than they had with their effort to contract knives from Japan,namely the ECCO. It seems from the other postings on that issue was how long it took to get product made.In addition i have both Diamond backs and a filet knife , all made in Taiwan. The quality is there and they do the job. Now if my Petes would come in I'd be set for a week or two.:D
guy

I don't have anything against products made outside the US, the company I work for gets many of our components from overseas. International manufacture is a great way to keep prices down without sacrificing quality.

I was more curious about the significnace of the "USA" stamped onto the blade. Does this mean that just the blade was made over here and assembeled into an imported handle, or is it just a Buck tradition to stamp it on there. I believe I noticed a similar contradiction on a Bucktool I saw a while ago. Apprently some people feel very strongly about buying only domestic products, so I could imagine that this could be a concern for some consumers.

greetings, fishbulb,
the Buck/ USA stamp means the blades are made in el cajon, ca. the other parts in my understanding are also made here, or are in some cases, sourced out. the knives i have that are made elsewhere are clearly marked on the blade.i'll keep my eyes open for the nxt assembled in mexico, i like to pick up variations like that.:)
have a good day,
guy

Back