Buck Knife for a Bug-out-Bag (BOB)

If I had to pick only one Buck Knife for a Bug-out-Bag (BOB) it would be my

Buck 183 Alpha Crosslock Portable Butcher Shop (PBS).:thumbup:

My BOB:
Becker BK-9 1095 Cro-Van (Large Fixed Knife)
Leatherman Super Tool 300 (19 Tools)
Swiss Army SwissChamp Knife (33 implements)
Buck 183 Alpha Crosslock Portable Butcher Shop (PBS)

My sense is that what you take depends on what your local wildlands are like. It's getting to be the time of year in the Northeast where I live when I put a folding saw in my "10 Essentials" bag. I come at the problem more from a climbing/backpacking tradition which emphasizes less weight. Chouinard's maxim is "Speed is safety" and the Ray Jardine creedo is "Ounces add up to pounds." The Mountaineers defined the notion of "The 10 Essentials" and I keep a small mini-duffle with my variation of the essentials. This allows me to move my "10 Essentials" bag into any pack that I'm using. I'm never in the woods without it.

My picks for 3 season use are:
Bucklite Max Large 486 (carried in my pocket at all times).
Leatherman PS4 (carried in the small 1st aid kid mostly for the scissors for bandages and pliers for sewing repair).

For winter camping and ski touring I'll add:
Folding saw (for firewood processing)
Leatherman Wave (for ski touring, good tool for repairing things).

I've not crossed the threshold of carrying something to split wood. Never really needed that.

I've not crossed the threshold of carrying something to split wood. Never really needed that.

I have and that's why a I also bring a Sven-Saw a folding saw that is rugged, lightweight, and stores safely and made in Duluth, MN. The backup is the BK-9 (batoning). I have done a lot of batoning.:)

For me, it would be a 650 Nighthawk along with a good hatchet and mulitool of some sort. I went with a multitool over the SAK to gain the pliers feature. The hatchet, unlike a large fixed blade not only allows for processing of kindling and firewood as well as shelter poles and tent stacks but affords a hammer which, like the pliers on the multitool is a very useful, non-cutting item to have.

In my BOB bag/ Survival bag I carry a Saw Buck, Buck flashlight from the 20yr. Reunion with matches and candles. A 1980 model 119 or 120 a 1989 model 428 Selector or a Buck tool with some rope and tarp for shelter material, compass and whistle. Plus, H20 in the truck. I peel bark to get to dry wood. DM

Back