Buck made Remingtons

Not so sure about that as we have a good man here that can take this interest back to the office and place it in Remington's lap. DM

Thats true David. But it's also true that Buck is working for Remington in this regard so perhaps making requests to both is the most prudent approach.

I did not get the impression that Buck is "working for" Remington.

Buck would not be investing time and money without some control over product and potential for success.

I think of the arrangement similar to the knives from the SK gents. They bring a design to Buck and say, can you made us 200 of these? Buck says, yes for this much as that's one of our patterns. Ok, lets do it.
Remington comes to Buck and says, we want you to make knives for us. Will you? Yes, but for that type knife we'll have to add some different tooling. Ok, in turn if you do this we'll contract with you to make 1 million of these. Ok, after crunching the numbers we can make them for this much. Remington says, ok, let's move forward with this. My take. DM

The nature of the relationship between the two is what dictates who's working for who.

If Buck is licensing the Remington brand, Buck is working for Buck. If Remington is contracting Buck to produce knives then Buck is working for Remington essentially.

That being said; the investment Buck is making in facilities to produce these knives indicates that they're committing to a significant volume, which suggest to me that these knives are contracted for Remington in which case Buck is a supplier and therefore working for Remington.

Licensing wouldn't require such an investment in facilities. Branding is simple ink or engraving. Facilities investment means contracted sales to me.

We can speculate until knives hit the shelves.

You don't see "Bear and Sons" on current Remington knives which tells me it's a "contracted purchase" relationship and not branding.

It wouldn't be the first time my speculation was wrong. I can only relate to what I do in branding and contracted manufacturing situations. I wouldn't invest in facilities unless there was a very high reward:risk ratio, and that rarely comes from brand licensing ventures.

Perhaps I'll wake up tomorrow with a different opinion...

Buck will be the first to get the money on completed knives. These knives may be shipped to Remington and out to their dealers for resale. Then Remington gets there return on their investment. Along with some retailers. As to who's name appears on the blade? I'm unsure. But I would think Remington's. DM

As I said......I'd be happy to see this one.

As to the name on it.......yes, it would be exactly like this.......no "Buck" on it.

RemingtonBulletBurntStagDelrinTrackerLockBack.jpg

As to who decides what's going to be made.......it would be a profoundly poor business decision for Buck to invest a bunch of money and then let someone else take total control of what models were to be produced.

That decision would, of course, have a huge impact on whether or not Buck made or lost money on their investment.

Last edited:
Also........IF this does come to pass and we actually see desirable and historically accurate knives of high quality with good, old-fashioned STAMPED markings instead of the cheap etchings that have come into use of late......be sure to buy direct from Buck or Remington or a dealer of undeniable reputation and stay away from e-Bay.
The Chinese probably already hacked the Buck/Remington e-mail server and are already tooling up to make incredibly good copies of what Buck won't tell us that they're going to make.

And if Buck is not planning to make desirable and historically accurate knives with good, old-fashioned stamped markings.......

Well, then we won't have to be concerned, since we won't be buying.

I still see the models to be produced as a Remington decision and not a Buck decision. I've seen nothing about these being a collaboration. Think of it like the Schrade and Camilus made Bucks. Who do you think dictated the design specs for those, the subcontractors or the company who's name was on them?

Can't imagine Schrade collectors telling Schrade that Buck needs to make this or that. Sure there has to be agreement and discussion between the two but these will ultimately be Remington knives. I would imagine they have a contract for Buck to produce X in exchange for Y. No company is going to make the capital investment to expand production capability without a guaranteed return on that investment.

If Buck decided to expand their own product line there would be no guaranteed return on that investment but they, like any business would examine the market, anticipate the demand and either take the calculated risk or not. In this regard they shouldn't have that concern. As long as Remington doesn't require Buck to make a crappy knife they should be risking nothing. They will build what ever the contract requires and get their money. If the designs don't sell that chicken will be roosting on roosting in Remington's coop not Buck's. Same with the selling price. If they are priced too high that's not on Buck.

Well, we're not talking about the possibility that Remington would specify a "crappy" knife, are we?

We're talking about choosing which models of some GREAT knives to produce in high quality.

This is a marketing decision and if Buck invests a lot of money in new tooling they need the product to be successful in order to recoup the cost of retooling or they LOSE money and have wasted their time.

So that new tooling better be for knives that will sell and sell well.

I think Buck would want some input in that decision and not just turn it over to some guys at a gun company that may or may not make great decisions about what will sell.

I'm hoping Buck faithfully reproduces many of the same Remington Bullet Knife models that Camillus made in the 80's and 90s and makes them of even better quality.

Otherwise I see Buck getting big tax deductions for money lost.

I always liked this one, too. Are you listening, Buck??? ;)

1253Guidebulletknives.jpg

Here is something to chew on while we wait. I prefer traditional and hope that's the way they go, but my bet is they go modern to match the direction of their firearms.
17992.jpg-1160Wx870H

My guess remington invests in the tooling and Buck is investing into the addition of he facility. Another knife company 10 years ago was going to do a collaboration with Buck and it was going to be a heavy investment for them. They ended up in a collaboration with a different knife company in Idaho.

Back