Buck Mayo TNT continuity?

Hi all, I've had a Buck Mayo TNT for several years now that I bought on line from a reputable place, I've even sent it in for some work and Buck took care of it. So before we go any further remember the knife has been to Buck and Jeff personally saw to it to have it fixed for me.

I've been on the war path trying to acquire more of this model every since I got the first one. I've bought one on line from another reputable place, opened it up for the first time and the lock bar face snaped into place againest the non locking side of the handle with the force of a freight train. The lock bar was just simply sprung way too hard. Sent it back.

Continued search found another in a brick and mortar store in Foley, Alabama. Lock engagement was really advanced again another one that the lock bar almost was touching (I mean like a 64th of an inch away) the non locking side of the handle. However I got to handle this knife for a bit even though I passed on purchasing it given the lock situation as the one I have been carrying and using for nearly 2 years is still at like 20% lock up and just as smooth and solid as can be even after some questionable use on my part.

That said I noticed that the original Buck Mayo I bought and the one in the store in Foley were very different. The logos on both sides of the blade one being for Bos Heat Treat and S30V and the other a Buck logo are different sizes than on the first Buck Mayo I bought. Second the handles on both the model I ordered on line and sent back and the model I handled in the store at Foley were the same size and thicker than the first Mayo I bought and still own. As I've noticed the lock bar side of the handle on the one I've been carrying and using is much thinner than the non locking side handle.

Well I finally found another one on flea bay, and bought it over the weekend, got it today, the thing is just like my first one in terms of lock up, but all of the other things like on the other two Mayo's discussed above were again different. The logos are different sizes, the handles on this one are thicker than the first one I got and both handles are the same size.

I'm not talking about a little bit different I'm talking about enough difference in size and overall continuity meaning everything is the same size on both sides of the handle to be obviously visible with the naked eye, even a buddy of mine who is not a knife nut that happened to be standing in my driveway when I opened the box from my mail man and began inspecting the new one and comparing to the one I had on me at the time. Was able to notice that the knives while at first appearing to be the same are different.

Needless to say I'm keeping the one I got today in the mail as the lock is awesome like the first one and I really like the thicker handles, the lock bar face is so much thicker on the one I got today its really kinda weird. It even appears that the stand offs on the new one are larger than the ones on the first one I bought.

Anyone else ever notice this? I'm just curious the handle size difference and other things I've noticed on handling these models there just seems to be a lot of variance in the tolerances with these knives.

I'll see about taking some side by side pictures tomorrow so ya'll can get a better look at what I'm talking about.

Where were they made?

004.jpg
[/IMG]

006.jpg

012.jpg
http://[/IMG]

008.jpg
http://[/IMG]

013-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Got the pix up, notice in the first 2 pics the knives are even kinda different colors are at least the new one is way more polished looking and shinny. Then look at the difference in the size of the logos on the 2 blades, the larger logo is the new one I just got. Last look at the size difference between the handles in terms of thickness especially on the lock side handle. I have the two knives side by side with their locking side handles next to one another and then I have them side by side at the lock. The last picture was taken at an angle instead of straight on so its is not quite as obvious but look at it and you can see the difference in handle thickness even at the lock bar face itself.

Worth noting is that everyone I've physically handled which is a total of 3 have all been like the new one, polished shinny and had thicker handles on both sides especially the lock bar side and had thicker lock bar faces. Notice in the last picture even the horns on the new one are thicker at the edges.

Last edited:
Don't have two so I can't compare mine to anything but itself.

RtSide.jpg

LeftSide.jpg

CenteredBlade.jpg

147-250.jpg

Fit and finish is perfect. I'll check the lockup when I get home tonight. AFAIK these are US made knives.

I haven't been to the Foley store you no doubt have been to in most of a year. But - they had a new and used one that matched my Mayo, as to perfection, on my last visit. In fact, here is mine with my only similar knife that is closer to perfection - my CRK 'StarTac' Umnumzaan, a specially made for Wilson Combat variant.

IMG_4527.jpg

I have been bad - and just found and fondled my b'day gift for later this month - a Benchmade 480-1 Shoki with Ti/carbon fiber construction and a .090" x 2.89" M390 blade. It rivals the Mayo in quality - the smaller Mayo in size - at a much lower price. Like the Mayo - made in the USA (Not sure about the Shoki's included lined sheath, however.).

The Mayo's were great knives!

Stainz

My lockup is pretty much identical to the bottom knife in your/this photo. Your photos does how ever seem to be a little more centered over the top knife than the bottom one which, to me anyway makes the angle and therefore the lockup look a little more severe.

I'm fine with the lock up on both as both are very early say 20% and 30%, I'm talking about the actual thickness of the handles, these things were supposed to be mass produced in a state of the art American factory, well something ain't right because of the 4 I've physically handled 3 of them are like the top knife with thicker handles, thicker lock bar face, etc. its just my first one I bought (the bottom knife in the above photo) that seems off. I was just wondering if there was an explanation or if someone else had noticed this, etc. I mean even the color of the handles is different, obviously so. So I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong with the first that I got because it is without question different than the second one I bought and other 2 I've got to put my grubby little paws on.

Thanks

They could be from different years perhaps? They may have made minor revisions to the design between model years, though I have no idea how long Buck produced the Mayo TNT. What's the symbol on your blade?

As an unrelated side note, the Vantage really does look like the common man's Mayo TNT. Kinda neat, seeing a sort of family resemblance across different lines of knife models.

I have the Mayo 173 with aluminum handles and 420HC blade. It may be the sharpest knife I've ever seen and the ergos are simply first-class.

I was first attracted to the original (non Force) Vantages because of certain similarities to the Mayos. But a Buck rep told me the Vantages were in-house designs.

I'm surprised that Buck discontinued its Mayos, particularly the 173, which was an incredible value even at its full list price of $90.

Does anyone know if they ever made any Mayo TNT 172 models with Aluminum handles and is there anyway I can test to see if my handles are titanium or aluminum?

I only have one TNT and it has the smaller logo on the blade. The lockup is like the bottom knife in the picture. Fit and finish is excellent and the scales are symmetrical.

Peter

What I have is different from most I've seen.

Here you see the blade shape is slightly different. A bit of a recurve to it.
photostream

Opposite side showing BOS flame/S30V/USA
photostream

Display side
photostream

Lock up
photostream

Lightening holes are chamfered a bit, adding a bit of Bling :cool:
photostream

Wish Buck was still making this collaboration with Tom Mayo. Very hard to come by this fine knife anymore

All I'm seeing are red X's??

The middle red 'X' is my favorite...

Interesting how similar the two S30V blades are... in thickness, too!

IMG_4128.jpg

What I wanted was a closeout priced CF version... I can dream! I did get a close example - great 'Gent's knife' - a Benchmade 480-1. CF scales, Ti liners, m390 blade... nice! I still want a CF Buck/Mayo...

Stainz

May be a bit before I land in front of a computer screen. Using Tapatalk ATM. EDCF has Tapatalk photo-sharing, makes it hella simple. I believe I chose URL instead of Link when I uploaded originally.

Interesting... I also have an early TNT and a second one I bought when I heard they were going out of production so I compared them. Like yours, the newer one does have a tiny bit thinner ti-handles and the logo and Bos insignia is a different size. The newer knife is perfectly centered and locks up at about 20-25% so I'm completely happy with it.

I really hated to see Buck take the TNT out of production as it is my all time favorite folder and I've been buying/collecting knives for over 40 years. (yep, like it better than my Sebenza :D) Hopefully, sometime in the future they will reconsider the TNT and bring it back for another go-round.

Mine has the larger logo and perfect lockup. After 10+ years still my favorite knife and in my pocket right this moment. I am interested to know if production changes were made at any point. Buck?

Back