Buck Mayo TNT

Chief

Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000
Platinum Member
Bought this for my father-in-law many years ago when they first came out. Doesn't look like he never used it, preferred a stag Case trapper I previously gifted him. He passed over a year ago and I retrieved this knife Thanksgiving. Don't know the rules in this forum but at my membership level it should be ok for me to ask. Curious what it's current value might be but has too much sentimental value for me to cut loose of it now. Sorry for the crappy pics, is overcast / drizzling here today as you can see in the second pic. Have googled this knife, originals seem to be rare. Hard case box has wear on one edge visible in pics, knife is mint, blade has a beautiful satin finish not clearly visible due to not enough light today. Light, feels good in hand. Action is super smooth, impressive. Please chime in with any info as I'm not even certain how old it is and figured this is the right place to ask. Thanks.

BuckMayoTNT-1.jpg

BuckMayoTNT-2.jpg

seems these larger TNT ones sell for more and are rarer than the smaller Waimea ones. I dont know the market value of the TNT though. I dont want to guess.

its a nice one you have.

I'd guess it's $200 - 250 maybe as high as 300 and it's 15 yo. It's the granddad of the Vantage :). Much better knife than a trapper. I love mine, I beat the hell out of it and it comes back for more. Bos heat treat from when Bos actually was in charge.

Buck no longer has parts for it, "forever warranty" is replacement.

So many knives get discontinued, presumably because they either do not sell well enough or do not provide a favorable enough margin considering manufacturing costs, etc. The, after the knife gets discontinued, folks pay a premium for those that are out there on the secondary market. It does beg the question of why does not the manufacturer re-introduce the knife and capitalize on the demand for it?

Buck has not monopoly on this conundrum; evidence the Becker BK-15 and Chris Reeve "Regular" Sebenza in BG-42 as examples that immediately come to mind.

Chief Master Sargeant sir, welcome to the Buck forum. That's a nice model, one I missed out on. You indeed can ask value related questions. Did that knife have over a 3" blade? It came with that nice case. And thank you for your service. DM

^pretty sure 3 1/8" blade on the TNT.

Thank you all for the information. Apologize for the late reply, thought by watching the thread I would get emails when there was a reply.

David Martin David Martin thanks for the welcome. Blade is 3 1/8" frame to the very tip. OAL closed is just over 4". The frame has a slight texture to it, almost like a light beadblast. USAF was good to this poor kid from small town Oklahoma, surreal in hindsight. Truly was an honor to serve this great Nation.

Think I'll keep it for now. Memories attached to knives are powerful to me.

Is it on PB washers or BBs? Cant find the info and I dont wanna take it apart. Feels smoother than a Small Sebenza.

So many knives get discontinued, presumably because they either do not sell well enough or do not provide a favorable enough margin considering manufacturing costs, etc. The, after the knife gets discontinued, folks pay a premium for those that are out there on the secondary market. It does beg the question of why does not the manufacturer re-introduce the knife and capitalize on the demand for it?

Buck has not monopoly on this conundrum; evidence the Becker BK-15 and Chris Reeve "Regular" Sebenza in BG-42 as examples that immediately come to mind.

I already wrote to Buck asking them to start making these again.
If Spyderco can do it with the Slysz Bowie... We should ask Shabazz to hype it I guess. :)

I already wrote to Buck asking them to start making these again.
If Spyderco can do it with the Slysz Bowie... We should ask Shabazz to hype it I guess. :)
They have some parts. The 171 came back but took awhile to sell them. Im not sure if Buck would bring the TNT back or not, would need pocket clip arrangement changed..

Back