Buck Men, does size really matter?

over the last 60~61 years I've come the conclusion that for a folding in the pocket knife, I prefer a full 4 finger grip, and blades that don't look fraile. The smallest I'll carry is a 3.25 to 3.5 inch closed Barlow. I don't like the "medium" 3.625 inch Buck 303/Old Timer 34OT size stockmans. To me, they look and feel .... "flimsy" .... I know they aren't, and there are other knives the same size (such as the canoe, and a loom fixer/half hawk, folding carpet/linoleum/pruning/hawkbill, and 4 blade scout/camp/Demo knife that I do like and carry regularly.
I tried the "medium" stockman, didn't like it. I gave it to a friend who prefers that size stockman. I like the 3 7/8 (3.825) inch and larger.

For carrying loose, in the bottom of my pocket, 4.625 inches closed is the upper limit. Larger than that; my Buck 110/112, (the 112feels"cramped" to me) Old Timer 6OT/7OT and 5.5 inch two blade slipjoint folding hunter's, go on my belt.

As for a non-folding sheath/hunting knife, I've discovered through trial and (many) error(s), for my needs and uses, a relatively thin 3.5 to 5 inch blade works best for me.
I know there are some who can use/need additional blade length. I'm not one of them. They normally don't buy the 3.5 to 5 inch blade knives, leaving one for me. I return the favor, and don't buy the longer blades, (hopefully) leaving one for them. :D

My "go to" sheath/hunting knives are the Buck 877, Schrade Sharp Finger, Mora Number 1, Western L66, and Cold Steel FINN BEAR.
I don't prep my firewood, or fell trees with my knife. 3.5 to 5 inch is plenty long to gut and peel a critter, or clean the average freshwater fish. (Some catfish may be an exception. However, they are by no means "average". I've yet to catch a freshwater fish I needed more than a 5 inch blade to clean and make fit in my 10 inch cast iron fry pan, or in the freezer.)

I had a Buck 119, and if it be blasphemy to say it, so be it. Loathe me if you "must": "I didn't care for it."
At the very least, the blade felt too big, and ... cumbersome ... I suppose ... when gutting and peeling a critter. Again, I gave it to a (different, and now late) friend, who liked and used the larger blades.

over the last 60~61 years I've come the conclusion that for a folding in the pocket knife, I prefer a full 4 finger grip, and blades that don't look fraile. The smallest I'll carry is a 3.25 to 3.5 inch closed Barlow. I don't like the "medium" 3.625 inch Buck 303/Old Timer 34OT size stockmans. To me, they look and feel .... "flimsy" .... I know they aren't, and there are other knives the same size (such as the canoe, and a loom fixer/half hawk, folding carpet/linoleum/pruning/hawkbill, and 4 blade scout/camp/Demo knife that I do like and carry regularly.
I tried the "medium" stockman, didn't like it. I gave it to a friend who prefers that size stockman. I like the 3 7/8 (3.825) inch and larger.

For carrying loose, in the bottom of my pocket, 4.625 inches closed is the upper limit. Larger than that; my Buck 110/112, (the 112feels"cramped" to me) Old Timer 6OT/7OT and 5.5 inch two blade slipjoint folding hunter's, go on my belt.

As for a non-folding sheath/hunting knife, I've discovered through trial and (many) error(s), for my needs and uses, a relatively thin 3.5 to 5 inch blade works best for me.
I know there are some who can use/need additional blade length. I'm not one of them. They normally don't buy the 3.5 to 5 inch blade knives, leaving one for me. I return the favor, and don't buy the longer blades, (hopefully) leaving one for them. :D

My "go to" sheath/hunting knives are the Buck 877, Schrade Sharp Finger, Mora Number 1, Western L66, and Cold Steel FINN BEAR.
I don't prep my firewood, or fell trees with my knife. 3.5 to 5 inch is plenty long to gut and peel a critter, or clean the average freshwater fish. (Some catfish may be an exception. However, they are by no means "average". I've yet to catch a freshwater fish I needed more than a 5 inch blade to clean and make fit in my 10 inch cast iron fry pan, or in the freezer.)

I had a Buck 119, and if it be blasphemy to say it, so be it. Loathe me if you "must": "I didn't care for it."
At the very least, the blade felt too big, and ... cumbersome ... I suppose ... when gutting and peeling a critter. Again, I gave it to a (different, and now late) friend, who liked and used the larger blades.
Thank you as there is a wealth of experience and insight to be gleaned from this.

Is it minimalist mind set that drives using the smallest knives made as all they need?
Not knocking but trying to understand.

Personally I wouldnt even consider a small knife as I like to be able to use my knife as a tool. Med to large folders and fixed blades. I feel better over knifed than under knifed. Its interesting to see the majority lean towards very small knives
For me it's just that I don't need much in an EDC blade.
Mail, packages, string, tape, apples, just minor little things.
A lot of times when carrying 2 smaller knives it can be the different blades for different tasks things or just giving pocket / belt time to my knives.

Back