Buck Nemo #122

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question but hear goes.....

This knife is available locally to me. After considerable Internet searching, I find very limited info on it. It seems to be a discontinued Buck from the '70's.

Anyone know whether it's collectible, etc.?

From the posts that I have seen about the 122...buy it...assuming that it doesn't put you in the poor house.

The 122 Nemo is the diving version of the 124 Frontiersman. The only difference is the sheath and sometimes the number on the tang. It is very collectable especially with the 122 tang stamp.

well you are lucky to have one offered to you...
it is very collectable... and desired by collectors like me that are bulding collections of that mod knife... but here is some basic info... feel free to email with questions..

Nemo (122) and the Frontiersman (124)
debuted in the late 1960s ( approx 1966 - 67 for the Nemo). They were sold interchangeably with Nemos having a plastic divers' sheath
and Frontiersman models being issued with a leather sheath.
{{ i have the leather sheathed one with the serrated blade }}
Later, the 122 Nemo was dropped but the 124 remained.
The earliest versions were made with the standard black phenolic like all buck fixed blades of that time. The first versions did not have any serrations at all.
Later, the blade was partially serrated. The phenolic handle is shorter than a normal full tang model and have no serration and the tang is stamped BUCK / U.S.A. Micarta and full tang models are stamped BUCK / MODEL # / U.S.A.
hope this helps some ...
like i said email if you have other questions...

Thanks for the replies....I bought it this afternoon. I'll post some pictures in the morning.

Thanks again,
Mike

Thanks for the replies....I bought it this afternoon. I'll post some pictures in the morning.
Thanks again,
Mike
why congrats on such a score!! yo sure is one lucky guy!:thumbup:
mumblegrumble grumblefumble.... i never have such biginers luck... should be my turn some time...mumblebrumblemumbel

shusssssssss !
it is a big big secreat i have a very few fixed blades!!!!!
so dont tell any one ok?

Here are a few pictures, as promised.

Still looking for all the input I can get. Please offer up any comments on condition, model 122/124, value (if appropriate), etc. I think I'm going to hang on to this one for awhile, it's real "perty".

I'll post some pictures this afternoon of the blade after I try hammering it through a hardened bolt.....:eek:....just kidding.

Nemo1.jpg

Nemo2.jpg

Nemo3.jpg

Nemo4.jpg

Nemo5.jpg

Nemo6.jpg

Nemo7.jpg

Looking forward to comments,
Mike

Mike, I believe this is a first version. It came with the white teflon spacers. I have some more details, but will have to dig them out. I have the same knife, but mine came in the plastic diving sheath. The knife looks mint and is awsome. Great find!

Hey Mike!
hkingdom is correct; You have the very first product variation of the 122/124 with the white teflon spacers. The Prototype permutation was a BUCK* in which 30-50 were made. When the Grand Dame of Buck knives debuted in 1967, it was in the configuration you now have, and mint btw!!! Your particular specimen is one of 300-500 before the red hard bone spacers of the rest of the 100 series line-up got installed on the 122/124s too. What a find!!!....and in that shape too? Very nice, Mike.

Dave

Wow Mike,

Very cool...What a find. The white Teflon 122/124 are a hard to find item in any condition. But, your's is simply awesome I am drooling all over my key board. Thanks for sharing you photo's ;)

jb4570

The rarity of that knife can easily make it the centerpiece of even large respectable collections and is worth many hundreds of dollars. Either build a collection around that knife and keep it (it will only appreciate in value) or look for something approaching 4 figures if you sell it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Telechronos

yea it is a great knife :thumbup:... not a 110 :p
{you all's do know i only collects the 110 as i is a 110 man! :eek:right? }
but a great knife jest the same!:thumbup::thumbup:
congtrats on a score many would love to have!;):D

Back