Buck Nighthawk

Just bought a clip point, bead blasted Nighthawk for an inexpensive hiking blade. I am impressed! The blade is sharp and seems sturdy, the grip is really comfortable (though I don't know how tough it is) I hate the sheath though, if I really like the knife, I'll get a Kydex one made for it. For a $40 knife, I'm impressed. Anyone have more miles on one?

I've been playing around with one for a few months now that I got from a friend(thanks Clay), and it is a pretty tough knife. I've been turning a lot of log ends into chips and the edge seems to hold up pretty well.
No it's not top of the line, but I have a hard time abusing a blade that cost hundreds of dollars. just my opinion.

These are extremely ergonomically designed knives and quite thick at 1/4 inch. But, I wish they would have used a better steel than 420HC. Even 440C or BG-42 would have been my choice. I would pay the extra for that steel.

Cobalt is right. The steel could be better. But then again not everything has to be a new top of the line stainless steel. IMHO I would rathe have my FB's that are intended to be used hard in good ol' fashion tool steel. Its tougher, costs less and holds a better edge than most stainless steels. Its also easier to sharpen.

Sincerely,
Adam

I love #650nighthawk too!No soonre I had looked it in knifemagazin Japan's advertisment than I called my favorit knifeshop to advance order it.
It is very tough.It's grip is fit on my hand like custom knife.It is very cheap that I can use it hard without hesitate.
I wish it were more model in the series 7"or8"model,blade of M9bayonet or buckmaster,and wider thinner blade model like kitchen knife.The nighthawk handle is very good system as Gerber Alminium series.

------------------
CHic Stone

I did some serious cutting and chopping with my Nighthawk today, even to the point of several small dings in the edge. But a few minutes sharpening, and it's sharper than it was out of the box. The handle is really comfy even after extended cutting. But I still hate the sheath!

Back