BUCK Scrimshaw " Natalie "

bucksway

Gold Member
I'm trying to find any information on a scrimshaw artist named 'Natalie ' Her last name is Goulart and all pieces of her work I've seen has been dated 1981.I have found a 1983 add in Cruise World magazine offering a Buck 315 with your Boat name put on ivory micarta scales with nautical themes on the front. It was a collaboration with JTO marine and cost was $99.00 back in 1983 that was a fairly good price. The 2 112's I have are of a pig that was supposed to have been bought in the factory store in California and a racoon that I know no history of. I took the pig (Wilbur I call him) to Atlanta in 2010 or 2011 to show to Chuck and CJ but it was not familiar with them or Joe. Have any of yall ever seen a ivory micarta Buck scrimed and signed 'Natalie '? ?? They are not like the Schrade knives that are printed. .My newest addition is the racoon and I have not looked at it yet as my wife got it for me and I have to wait for Christmas eve to see it. The pig looks very whimsical and if/when I get a photo bucket account and learn how to post on my phone I'll share it with you.

I think I have seen some old buck micarta knives done by her. It's been a year or two so I can't remember a whole lot besides they were 110's. I think one was of Ronald Reagan...

Thanks JB for taking me back to 2008 ,It seems lIke only afew years ago..The add said it was a collaboration with JTO and Buck for the 315 so there's bound to be a trail some where. I believe the same add run in 1982 but in 1984 there was a different name posted in the add as the artist. A factory customized 315 like that might not come into the market very often and I doubt many were ordered. A 315 with micarta would cost maybe 30 bucks top in 1982 but the way the add read it all ready had scrimshaw and the boat name was added. So I guess I should look for any 315 that has been scrimed. .Has anyone seen a 315 like that?

Thanks again JB ,I forgot about the Americas Cup 315. I hope 300 Bucks checks in on this thread as well because he has a lot of experience with the 300 series. Finding the second 'Natalie ' has stirred up intrest for me for scrimshawed Bucks of all kinds. Unfortunately most of the one's I've seen have been one of's and all have been pricy. It's funny because the first 112 I ever had was a Damascus NS elephant ivory that my brother scrimed for me. It got me collecting 112's. .

The letter in one of the photos IDs the scrim on the 315 described by the link. The very first America's Cup 315 was also scrimed, but I can't say offhand by who. It depicted Ted Turner winning the race in his craft. There is also a sailing ship scrim on a issue of 315s by a woman on the west coast, maybe in Oregon. I have a photo I can dig out but would really have to search to find a name.

bucksway My newest addition is the racoon and I have not looked at it yet as my wife got it for me and I have to wait for Christmas eve to see it.[/QUOTE said:
Hopefully this one looks better than the Ronald Reagan 110. He looked like he was from planet of the apes. Did you pick up your raccoon from Larry? He has one done by her.

Yep, I got that one from Larry and I have to wait until Christmas lol! 300 that is a good bet to be Natalie Goulart but I would sure like to see other examples of her work. 35 years is a cold trail to follow but that is part of the fun of collecting. If in the next year or two if can locate more Bucks that have been done by her I might attempt to make a mini display. For now I'm trying to find out all I can about her relationship with Buck and locate her if she is still alive. I think she was a real talent judging by Wilbur. .

Clint,

Do a google search of J.T.O. Marine. They are the company who commissioned the 315 scrim knife you are talking about. There is a small add (old) from them talking about the knife and Natalie doing the scrim work on Ivory Micarta of a boat scene with your name and the name of your boat for $99.50, it has a photo of the knife on page 293. Wish we could go back in time and get a few.

https://books.google.com/books?id=j...O-DnsQ6AEIIzAC#v=onepage&q=jto marine&f=false

JB

You could call J.T.O. Marine and see if they know anything about her. Perhaps she is still alive?

Nice find, JB.

As far as I can tell JTO Marine faded out of the picture and is not listed anywhere I can find.
Any one who had $100.00 for a custom made Buck probably passed it on to a friend or family member so it's not a dealer stock item or one that was saved NIB . This area of knive collecting has a real limited market say compared to Yellow Horse knives or other custom makers or rehandlers. But right now I bet there's a few around to find. I have two and I imagine there's a few held by Sharade collectors since that company really ran with the scrimshaw theme and a bigger collecter base. Thank yall for keeping a eye out for her work !

The last one is 'Wilbur' the first one I found. I bought it when I first started collecting and learned a valuable lesson. ..If you find a Buck you really, really want or like you better buy it then because you might never get another chance. In 9 years of combing ebay and really looking high and low they are the only ones I've ever seen. Thank you Dale for posting the pics! !

I'd rather have the pig..He's whimsical! I tell you when I first opened the box 9 10 years ago I laughed out loud because he is so cool and the fact that Natile really captured a emotion in scrimshaw art.

Back