Buck Slim Pro

Got my order today...2 112's in OD and brown micarta and a 110 in OD micarta. Quick first impressions are very favorable. They all came extremely sharp right out of the box with very solid lockup. There is the slightest hint of flex from side to side, but it's not a manufacturing oversight, defect or QC miss. It is very slight right at the pivot, and I attribute it to there not being any liners or anything around the pivot to provide extra stiffness. It will by no means effect the performance of any of the knives, as long as used appropriately(as a knife, not a pry bar).
When they say slim, they mean slim! I have medium sized hands, and I find that it fits very comfortably in any grip I use. Along with the slimness comes the light weight. You hardly notice that the knife is in your hand. It sits very unobtrusively in your pocket until needed. I was initially not a fan of the appearance of the clip, but now that I've had a chance to handle it in person, I have changed my mind. It is a low rider style clip and lets the knife almost disappear in your pocket.
The purpose of a knife is to cut things, and the only thing that I've cut so far is paper. The blade slid effortlessly through the paper, and I imagine that it will work very well for EDC tasks.

Overall, I'm very impressed with these knives and can't wait to use one as my EDC. Between one of these and the upcoming traditional forum knife, my cutting needs should be pretty well covered.

If you are on the fence about picking one of these slim pros up, I highly recommend that you do so. You won't be disappointed.

John
Perfect review. nice job.

This is my first time checking in here since I got my 112 Slim Select in the mail three weeks ago. It hasn't been out of my pocket yet except for when I'm sleeping and it's on my nightstand. I bought the select first because, like a couple of others mentioned here, I've had some pinned Bucks with blade play (all Bantams). Needless to say, the Select is perfect and the my 112 Slim Pro in G10 is in my mailbox as I type this. I'll get it out when I get home and report in later this evening.

You're going to like the 112 Slim pro, Max. I certainly like mine.

I wish you were right about that. Unfortunately, my 112 Slim Pro came with both side-to-side and up-and-down blade play. Both are very minimal, and Buck will probably tell me that they're "within tolerance." Honestly, if it were only one or the other, I could probably live with it. However, when I pay $80+ for a knife that comes with blade play in both directions, that is unacceptable to me. I'll be shipping this to Buck to see what they say about it. Their response will determine how much of my business they get in future.

I wish you were right about that. Unfortunately, my 112 Slim Pro came with both side-to-side and up-and-down blade play. Both are very minimal, and Buck will probably tell me that they're "within tolerance." Honestly, if it were only one or the other, I could probably live with it. However, when I pay $80+ for a knife that comes with blade play in both directions, that is unacceptable to me. I'll be shipping this to Buck to see what they say about it. Their response will determine how much of my business they get in future.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. All three of my 112 Slims have smooth action and positive lock up. I've been recommending them highly. The LTs, on the other hand, have not worked out well at all for me.

I haven't heard too many people not digging Bucks response

I think it happens now and again. Like anything.

I think some here just have excessive obsessive compulsive disorder more so than excessive blade play. I'd love to see video of this excessive blade play.

Depends on your definition of excessive. The play in my 112 Slim Pro is less than 1mm of movement in either direction. But given that the $25 112 Slim Select is absolutely rock solid in both directions, I don’t think it is out of line to expect the $80 Pro to be the same.

. If the guy had the luck of the draw and got a knife with excessive play send it to Buck. Nobody said it's out of line.. Money spent between the 20 dollar 112 and the 80 dollar 110 makes no difference. The build type is identical between the two models. Again luck of the draw.
Nobody likes getting a new knife that requires warranty work. Or a car, lawn mower etc, it just happens.

I received my brown 110 and 112 Saturday. They are both pretty much perfect-NO play in any direction. They both tight- maybe too tight. Probably and hopefully will loosen up a bit as they are tough to open one handed. I really like the finish on the blades. Very nice knives. Ordered direct from Bucky in Idaho.

Also got one of the new brown 112 sheaths Made in USA. I love this sheath! Plan pairing it with either my stag 500 or stag 112.

I would like to know the % of Buck knives that get sent back because of blade play or a centering problem that have nothing wrong with them from the beginning? I bet their is a lot of warranty employees just shaking they’re heads in disbelief.

I would like to know the % of Buck knives that get sent back because of blade play or a centering problem that have nothing wrong with them from the beginning? I bet their is a lot of warranty employees just shaking they’re heads in disbelief.
I guess we'll never know.

We have had some start up issues on the pro versions in the form of blade play in both directions. We have been working on it and I think we have gotten it corrected. Although the construction is the same style between the plastic and pro versions, they are a different animal when trying to process them through the shop.

Well, I was at the blue roofed mega knife store in Sevierville this weekend and a black g10 pro 110 jumped into my pocket. The pro 110 cuts even better than the pro 112. THis is an incredible knife series--Great Job, Buck Knives!

We have had some start up issues on the pro versions in the form of blade play in both directions. We have been working on it and I think we have gotten it corrected. Although the construction is the same style between the plastic and pro versions, they are a different animal when trying to process them through the shop.

Thanks for clarifying this. Mine is on my way back to the factory as I type this. I mailed it this morning.

Love the design.

Hate to say it, but in just a few days of carry and use, the side to side play on my green Micarta Slim Pro has noticeably gotten worse. Still not enough that I think it will be a problem, but it is a little annoying when all 3 of my much cheaper versions of this line are all rock solid.

Back