Buck Steel Questions?

So far all of my 110's have had 420hc, which I like because of it's rust resistance. How does BG-42 and ATS-34 compare in that area?

In the past I have had to stop carrying knives with aus6 and aus8 blades because no matter how much I oiled them, they would spot rust in my pocket sometimes within hours. Even D2 did this, (I am a bad "sweater"), I so far have never had a problem with 420hc, but I read so much negative stuff about it that I am thinking of having my next PCSK made with BG-42 or ATS-34.

How will they compare to 420hc for rust resistance?

TLC,

They are both listed with about the same Chromium content if not a little more. They should both be about the same as 420HC in the rust resistant department. I am one person who actually likes 420HC a great deal. I don't have any problems with sharpening so it doesn't bother me at all. The other two you mentioned do hold an edge a little longer but are much more diffucult to sharpen. Not that they are all that hard to get sharp, but by comaprison to 420HC they are more difficult. I carry all three but the two that I have with me EVERYDAY are a custome slipjoint with ATS-34, and a 532 with 420HC. Sometimes I substitute the 532 with one that has BG-42 but not very often.

Bottom line: If you LIKE 420HC, carry it. If you are just looking for something different then you won't go wrong with either of the other choices. Many here like the BG-42 just because the custome shop is the only place to be a high grade steel in a 110. I like them all, and all should be about the same as far as rust resistance.

Hope this helps,

Brian Bentley said:
TLC,

They are both listed with about the same Chromium content if not a little more. They should both be about the same as 420HC in the rust resistant department. I am one person who actually likes 420HC a great deal. I don't have any problems with sharpening so it doesn't bother me at all. The other two you mentioned do hold an edge a little longer but are much more diffucult to sharpen. Not that they are all that hard to get sharp, but by comaprison to 420HC they are more difficult. I carry all three but the two that I have with me EVERYDAY are a custome slipjoint with ATS-34, and a 532 with 420HC. Sometimes I substitute the 532 with one that has BG-42 but not very often.

Bottom line: If you LIKE 420HC, carry it. If you are just looking for something different then you won't go wrong with either of the other choices. Many here like the BG-42 just because the custome shop is the only place to be a high grade steel in a 110. I like them all, and all should be about the same as far as rust resistance.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, I have been given the green light to order a new PCSK for my xmass present from my family, so it's even a more relevant question know. As I was playing "build my 110" on the Buck website, I did notice one thing, they only offer ATS-34 and BG-42 in satin finishes, which I hate. My favorite is the bead blasted 420hc, so I my stick with it.

Asian Water Buffalo horn here I come!

Looking forward to seeing a picture of that new 110! :) I also like BUCK's 420hc alot. My 2 cents.

Grateful said:
Looking forward to seeing a picture of that new 110! :) I also like BUCK's 420hc alot. My 2 cents.

Thanks, I have never had a problem with 420hc in Buck products, I have a Ken Onion Scallion in it that I quit carrying because it spot rusted to much, but I have never had a Buck knife with it do that. I think it is the heat treating at Buck that makes the difference.

I'm thinking Asian Buff' with Nickel Silver plain edge, maybe engraved since it's a gift?

I have not heard of too many ATS or BG blades rusting but I am pretty sure most people carry their 110 in the belt sheath. The only blade i can recall getting back for rust is damascus.
Asian water buff and nickle silver looks incredible together! If you plan on useing the knife, and want to engrave it, it might wear better with the engraving on the bolsters.

Joe Houser said:
I have not heard of too many ATS or BG blades rusting but I am pretty sure most people carry their 110 in the belt sheath. The only blade i can recall getting back for rust is damascus.
Asian water buff and nickle silver looks incredible together! If you plan on useing the knife, and want to engrave it, it might wear better with the engraving on the bolsters.

Thanks, I almost did have it engraved, but at the last minute decided not to. I ended up sticking with 420hc.

You might want to look into the S30V version from Cabela's. This knife totally kicks butt! I love the steel, and this version is quite handsome looking too.

Mongo said:
You might want to look into the S30V version from Cabela's. This knife totally kicks butt! I love the steel, and this version is quite handsome looking too.

I already have it, and your right it's really slick. I haven't carried it yet, but I might give it a whirl soon.

Back