Buck Strider folder.......tanto or spear?

hi,

i consider buying a Buck Strider tactical folder, but i can't decide between the tanto (880T) and the spearpoint (880SP). the tanto appeals to me because it seems strong enough to do some serious oil-drum stabbing and would be able to handle more abuse than the slighly fragile spearpoint, but on the other hand i'm afraid the tanto-version will lack general utility-skills because of it's flat tanto-blade.

which one would you choose, or do you own already?

much obliged in advance for any help,

grtz
dennis

Originally posted by dennis75
hi,

i consider buying a Buck Strider tactical folder, but i can't decide between the tanto (880T) and the spearpoint (880SP). the tanto appeals to me because it seems strong enough to do some serious oil-drum stabbing and would be able to handle more abuse than the slighly fragile spearpoint, but on the other hand i'm afraid the tanto-version will lack general utility-skills because of it's flat tanto-blade.

which one would you choose, or do you own already?

much obliged in advance for any help,

grtz
dennis

I routinely stab both through a metal chair in my office. The spear has great tip strength. Both will take more abuse than almost any folder out there. I like the SP a little better for overall use, but that's my humble opinion. Let us know what you get and what you think of it.

Thanks,

Josh

Originally posted by J Rummerfield
I routinely stab both through a metal chair in my office.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hopefully no one is in it... :eek: :footinmou :eek:

The Strider spearpoint tip is way stronger than the average bear. It's on my to do list. The tanto doesn't do me.

You are right,
the spear point will be more utitlitarian.
It has lots of belly and is pointy enough for splinter removal and cofee stirring.

Ive got a large spear point and would get another rather promptly.

The tanto is better for stabbing, but not so much so as to compensate for the sacrafice in utility compared to the spearpoint. I have a large and a small, both in spearpoint and am happy with both. I would be happier of they were ground a little thinner, but they are still great utility folders. Tantos do have their place, but not as an everyday/everytask user.

thanks for all the help guys. i first bought the tanto and found it to be rather clumsy for general chores, but it has a certain charm, so i'll keep it anyway. today i ordered the spearpoint, so a more utilitarian one is heading my way already! :)

grtz
denn

Back