Buck Strider...Initial Impressions

Massive. Overbuilt. Sharpened Prybar. Tank Tough. Bomb Proof. Big Honkin' Folder.
All of these descriptive terms apply to this knife in spades. Just when I think they can't build a more massive folding knife, lo and behold, here it is.
There is nothing small and demure about this folder. The blade is between 5/32" and 3/16" thick(!). The handle thickness is a full 5/8"! The blade retains it's full thickness all the way out to 1/4" away from the point! That's right! 1/4" away from the very tip of this knife it is at full thickness. Geez! The locking liner is a full 1/16" thick. Dual Titanium liners and roughly textured G-10 scales make up the body/handle of the Strider.
The knife laughs at the Spine Whack test and cajoles you with..
"What?! Is that all you got"?!
Two massive spacers and one massive stop pin and the pivot pin hold this monster together and the whole knife is of open frame construction.
When the blade is closed it rides dead center of the handle and the blade does not budge one way or the other when open because of the Bronze washers. The knife has notching in what I think are all the right places. The texture is almost to the point of being too rough and goes all the way to the handle edges. They should be rounded off a bit as this bites the hand when gripping the knife hard. A little sandpaper and 2 minutes worth of work will remedy this. Some will want to knock down the texture of the handle a bit as it is quite aggressively textured.

The Blade.
Ah, the blade.
Now, we get to the part where I personally have some issues. Please bear in mind that this is all my personal opinion, which means absolutely NOTHING!
The blade has a grind that immediately reminds me of Cold Steel's SRK and Recon Tanto. VERY thick at the edge. Especially for a 3 7/8" bladed folder. The primary edge is bloody sharp for it's thickness, but that secondary edge out toward the tip, I'm-a-no-like!
frown.gif

I realize that this knife is pretty mission specific. (Sharpened Prybars only need apply).
However, for my own personal preferences, I want a bit less bulk out toward the tip. Granted, the tanto is all about armor piercing tip strength, but the Strider has taken this concept as far as it can possibly go, IMO. The tip is so thick that the secondary edge is not even close to being shaving sharp. Or scraping sharp for that matter. I understand that this is done intentionally in keeping with the intended mission of the knife, but, it just doesn't work for me.
I want that secondary edge sharp. Real sharp. I'm not in the Marine Corps anymore and I don't set out to see how much torture a knife can take, I just want a strong razor sharp folder that will do double duty as a utility and possible defense knife should (GOD Forbid!) the need arise. So, I just don't need the tip to be that massive.
This is why, when I finish typing this, Mr. Strider is going out to the shop to meet Mr. Belt Sander and we're gonna thin that tip out a bit. I will not compromise the tip strength much, the overall tanto armor piercing tip concept will remain, but I will grind the tip just enough to get the knife to where it will suit my personal needs. This is gonna reek havoc on the bead blast finish, but this knife is about hard work mainly and not about prettiness, so my concern for the appearance is minimal at best.
Of course, this will probably void any warranty, but, what the hey! The knife is a tank, it just needs a little tweeking IMO.

Conclusions:
The overall package looks like it will work really well if your in the market for a "beat the living hell out of it, dig holes, destroy car doors, open 55 gallon drums and clean the bad guy's plough" kind of knife. It appears to be an extremely tough utility/defense folder that will take whatever you can dish out to it.
I think maybe even Cliff Stamp would have a blast trying to destroy one of these babies.

This folder is not for the faint of heart and folks with smaller hands should go pick one up before buying one as it is one thick sucker in the handle and may not fit your hand.

BTW,
I expect to take some heat for altering the blade as I see fit. So don't be afraid to voice your opinions one way or the other.
biggrin.gif

Weee're off to see Mr. Belt Sander...

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

I agree wholeheartedly about the sharpness issue. That is the only thing I dont like about this knife. That is also the only thing that is keeping me from carrying it daily. I understand the concept behind it, but I would like to see the knife sharper. Otherwise this is a very mission specific tool and not a good everyday carry knife.

------------------
Dennis Bible

Yep! Most definately not an everyday carry knife.
Mine is much better now that I've thinned that tip out and gotten a better edge on that secondary bevel.
This took quite a while as hardened BG-42 does not want to grind very well at all and I had to take extra care not to burn the temper off of the blade by repeated dippings into cold water to keep it cool. My GAWD! There is a lot of metal in that tip! The bevel at the tip now starts a little over 3/8" back from the point instead of the original 1/4" and the secondary bevel will now shave hair.
I'm much happier with this setup. The best part is only 1/64" got lost off of the overall length of the blade.
biggrin.gif

When I need a tank-like knife, now I have one that fills that bill for sure! No problemo!
smile.gif

I forgot to mention that this knife flicks open from a fully closed position if one is in an extreme hurry, but I don't recommend doing it on a regular basis.

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

Misque and Shootist 16, I would echo your comments on the Strider.
Overall this is one heck of a knife. If you can't carry a fixed blade this is the one to have.
Today was the first chance I had to give mine a work out. Used it today in my yard work chores and was well pleased with every thing about it. Cut up an old kids plastic pool like it was paper,scraped crud from things on the lawnmower,cut vegetation from the garden pond(underwater),cut hose,small tree limbs,etc. and still looks new. This is a big working knife. For me this is what I have been looking for for a work knife for a daily carry.I wear loose fitting blue collar uniform trousers and it carries very well in the right front pocket back aganist the seam.
Very fast if circumstances warrent it as the blade can be flicked open easily due to the blade weight.
I too think a little modification is in order on the edges of the G10 scales. Think I will leave the tip as is for now and see how I like it with more utility use.
Semper Fi.

------------------
Those who beat their arms into plowshares will plow for those who do not.
R.D.Hatch
Stafford,Virginia

R.D. Hatch,
I've been thinking about your comments on: "if you can't have a fixed blade this is the one to have."
I agree with you. This knife, due to it's sheer mass, would be a good substitute for a fixed blade. The more I handle it, the more confident I get in it's strength. It is like a folding Cold Steel Recon Tanto. Of course, any knife that folds will not have the sheer strength of a fixed blade, but the Strider is about the closest thing I've seen to the mythical "folding fixed blade".
Hmmm...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Sun Tzu

Now if they'd just make a hollow ground version without the tanto tip it would start to be interesting. A clip point would be fine.

PS. This is my 1000th post.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Clark (edited 05-17-2000).]

Congrats on the 1000th post!
biggrin.gif

I agree with your thoughts on the hollow-ground clip point. That would be awe-inspiring on this monster folder.

------------------
Sun Tzu

I would like to see one based on Strider's MT. That would be awesome!

modelmt.jpg

------------------
Dennis Bible

[This message has been edited by shootist16 (edited 05-18-2000).]

THAT'S IT!!!
That's the format I'd love to see the Strider in!
It would be far more versatile in that format. Even the clip point would be better, but now that I see this, well, that would be perfect for this knife.
I honestly believe that as massively overbuilt as the knife is, little in the way of strength would be sacrificed if the blade were in the profile Dennis has pictured here.
I would go buy another or trade mine in if I could get it like that.
Can you guys tell I'm no longer enamored with Tanto points?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Sun Tzu

Hey there everyone.
Thanks for the kind words.
Here's the deal, Buck Knives wanted a tanto to begin with. A spear point will also be available. When? That is not up to us. If it was, you could go buy one today.
Get on the Buck forum. Rant about how you love the knife, and would like to buy one with a spear point also. Light a little fire.
Ya never know what may happen.

Carpe Diem

Mick

Mine is extremely solid, Cliff. I've been trying to defeat the lock by hand, and it ain't happenin'. Gorilla grip and hand torquing, the lock doesn't budge.

Mick,
This is great news! Make it and I'll buy it!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Sun Tzu

Excellent news, I figured that considering the thickness of the liner and the fact that it appeared to be slightly recessed.

How are the handle ergonomics and security? From the picture I saw they did not look that great but this is almost impossible to judge from such a limited viewpoint.

-Cliff

Hey there Cliff,
I guess I forgot to answer this on another thread. Sorry. Slave to the grind (literally).
Without actually cheating to do so, we have not been able to achieve lock failure in any ‘white knuckling' attempt, regardless of blade orientation.

Ever Vigilant
Strider Guys

Post Script:
Quote: How are the handle ergonomics and security? From the picture I saw they did not look that great but this is almost impossible to judge from such a limited viewpoint.

Ergonomics?
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Mick Strider (edited 05-18-2000).]

Handle ergonomics: I had a quick look at one at a gun show. The only thing I didn't like immediately is that the edges of the G10 scales are quite abrasive -- like holding a fine file, as my friend said. But this could be sanded off, no?

The handle is large and feels "boxy" in the hand. It fills the hand none the less. The texture is rough and I ended up sanding it down a bit, especially out to the edge where the texture is like holding a file. Very little work involved in this tweak, however. It is still mega-grippy, but doesn't take off skin now when using the knife hard.
wink.gif
This knife chops pretty good for a folder, BTW. The cutout is kind of shallow but functions as advertised. Coupled with the texture of the handle I feel comfortable about retention issues when using the knife.
I really think you would like dismantling one of these babies, Cliff.

------------------
Sun Tzu

Thanks for the info, the Strider folder is one of the next knives I am looking to get.

-Cliff

hello everyone,
after reading all of your notes i went to check out the buck strider and i must say that i don't like it at all. it is way to big for a folding knife in everyway. because of that it would make a terrible carry knife.

sorry buck, try again.

Back