Buck "Survival" Knife?

Sam, Some of the early 124's had canvas micarta handles. DM

I did not know that. I was thinking canvas and change out the cutler's type rivets for corby bolts. I will have to do a little looking and see what the canvas micarta ones looked like. Thank you for telling me.

Sam

It's a very open grain white to greyish with some black streaks. I've seen one. You living in a more populated area may can find more. They will be the early models 1972-73. DM

If I choose the 124, can I give it custom canvas micarta scales and a custom leather sheath with goodies???

Sam, curious - why do you prefer canvas Micarta over Buck's linen Micarta? Is there a noticeable difference in performance? As for the custom sheath with goodies - NO! I've seen your innovative sheath designs, which would allow you to sneak in a second knife. Nice try! :p :D But I will put you down for a 124. :thumbup:

Buck 120 should be the clear winner....., only an ounce and a half heavier than a 317 with over 3 and a half extra inches of fixed blade reach totaling around 7 1/2". The only thing I really look for in a knife for a survival situation is what is going to get to that bears heart the fastest. for fires and warmth I find wood that's dead and use leverage to break it, a 120 works just find for making kindling. A 184 would be nice, but just a bit too heavy, so definitely put me down for a 120!!! It's what I've gone back to a few times, in a few years another might jump ahead.

Steelhead,

Let us know when the fight with the bear will take place so I can bet my money on the bear.

Bert

Ok, stock sheath then.:D As far as the micarta, no problem with Buck's at all. I typically prefer linen myself, and is mostly what I use. I was just thinking a nice black or even dark OD green canvas would give it a real distinctive look, and increase the grip just a bit.

It's a very open grain white to greyish with some black streaks. I've seen one. You living in a more populated area may can find more. They will be the early models 1972-73. DM

And thank you, David. I will start prowling for one. I may just buy a newer one and put the micarta of my choosing on there. I don't know yet. I'll see what strikes my fancy.

I was just thinking a nice black or even dark OD green canvas would give it a real distinctive look, and increase the grip just a bit.

Dark OD green canvas would look great!

I may just buy a newer one and put the micarta of my choosing on there.

Sam, don't forget, Buck changed steel over the years, if that matters. Pre 1980=440C, Roughly '81-'92=425M, '93-present=420HC. I might be off a year or two, but it's close.

060 Hoodlum - 3
065 Punk - 2
070 Thug - 3
102 Woodsman - 1
103 Skinner - 1
104 Campadre Camp Knife - 1
105 Pathfinder - 1
106 Hatchet – 1
110 Folding Hunter - 2
120 General - 2
124 Frontiersman – 5
184 Buckmaster - 2
192 Vanguard - 1
317 Trailblazer– 1
620 Reaper – 2
639 Fieldmate – 1
651 Nighthawk – 1
888 Buck/Strider – 1

Your gear consists of a firestarter, compass, stainless water bottle, a tarp and one Buck knife...

Here's what my gear might look like, as I carry these items often. Besides we can never have enough photos. :D

IMG_7611_zpsy8t4nsmd.jpg

Steelhead,

Let us know when the fight with the bear will take place so I can bet my money on the bear.

Bert

Bert,

You'd be wise to put your money on me, if that fight happens it will end with an empty chamber and a bunch of 38 rounds in the Bear, and then I will probably poke at the Bear a little with my 120!!! It's been a long time since I've been in a situation where it is possible for a Bear to wander on towards me and I am only armed with a knife. If that were the case, you would be right in choosing the Bear, but there would be pictures of an angry Bear on the loose with a Buck knife in it's side on the following SPS, I would instruct my wife to at least do that for me!!

Steel, I like your sense of humor. We can always use that here.
TAH, You do good photos. DM

Dark OD green canvas would look great!

I think so, too.

Sam, don't forget, Buck changed steel over the years, if that matters. Pre 1980=440C, Roughly '81-'92=425M, '93-present=420HC. I might be off a year or two, but it's close.

Well, that kind of stinks. I'm not much of a steel snob, but I do like 440C a lot and prefer it over the 420's. That being said, it won't make too much of a difference to me. For outdoors knives I don't mind touching the edge up a bit while in the field. I much prefer having a thin edge that cuts well to a fancy steel and thick edge profile.

ETA: Beautiful pic! Great knife and matchcase/compass.

888 Buck/Strider is my choice. I would have gone for the 124 because I am a large knife guy but the 888 is made from much better steel and the sheath has room for extra gear.

A couple of weeks ago i would have said my 124. My 124 has been modded though, rounded the handle shape, slightly reduced the top guard, reground to more of a flat grind.
However i've had the new Selkirk for about a week and if the choice was for an unmodified Buck knife then i'd take the new Selkirk. Great ergonomics, nice flat grind, big enough but not too big. I like it as is and have no desire to mod it. Also it has an excellent sheath with firesteel/whistle included!
Edit: i finally used it enough to really dull the edge. The angle of the grind up near the guard made it difficult to resharpen so...i'm going to reprofile the edge slightly. So i can't say it will be "stock" anymore,lol. Still love the ergonomics and size though.

Last edited:
TAH, You do good photos. DM

Beautiful pic! Great knife and matchcase/compass.

Thanks David and Sam. I can assure you, it's the knife, not the photographer. The 124 is very photogenic. :)

I would have gone for the 124 because I am a large knife guy but the 888 is made from much better steel and the sheath has room for extra gear.

A couple of weeks ago i would have said my 124. My 124 has been modded though, rounded the handle shape, slightly reduced the top guard, reground to more of a flat grind.
However i've had the new Selkirk for about a week and if the choice was for an unmodified Buck knife then i'd take the new Selkirk. Great ergonomics, nice flat grind, big enough but not too big. I like it as is and have no desire to mod it. Also it has an excellent sheath with firesteel/whistle included!

Hmmm, it appears the old Frontiersman lost out to a couple of young "bucks". :D

No 119 Specials yet, even though it's Buck's best selling fixed blade and the next model I'm considering to add to my collection. :confused:

060 Hoodlum - 3
065 Punk - 2
070 Thug - 3
102 Woodsman - 1
103 Skinner - 1
104 Campadre Camp Knife - 1
105 Pathfinder - 1
106 Hatchet – 1
110 Folding Hunter - 2
120 General - 2
124 Frontiersman – 5
184 Buckmaster - 2
192 Vanguard - 1
317 Trailblazer– 1
620 Reaper – 2
639 Fieldmate – 1
651 Nighthawk – 1
863 Selkirk - 1
888 Buck/Strider – 2

The 110 to. I know it's not considered a "survival" knife, but I would be just fine if that's all I could have.

Back