Buck Titanium 186

This knife was a short lived wonder and I have one.
I am curious to know the year of production and production run.
I have sold knives for 25 years and have only seen the one I purchased at a show. How rare are these things. How would you find and approximate value?

I am assuming I have the entire contents of the box;
1 knive with belt clip
1 allen tool on ring
2 additional screws different lengths
instructions on assembly and teardown

On a side note, I have another old Buck that I would clasify as 60's or very early 70's that is a fixed blade with just Buck on the tang. Should I just take this up in another thread?

hi rigid
i have a 186 also :thumbup: in new condition they are from 150 to 200 they are getting scarce but not rare

as for the old 110 sory but i cant help you there

Thanks. I just found the year symbols info on the Buck site.

Was there some history as to the screws stripping out or the construction being less reliable? My blade has an ever so slight wobble that tightening a screw will not help.

I will take up the fixed blade knife on another thread after I have a picture to provide.

ridgid said:
Was there some history as to the screws stripping out or the construction being less reliable? My blade has an ever so slight wobble that tightening a screw will not help.
From what I understand, the 186 was discontinued because many of the owners would take the knife apart and then not be able to put it back together again. If you bought the knife as a user, I would recommend you send it in to Buck rather than try to tighten it up on your own. If it's a collector, I'd simply leave it alone.

Thanks.

Left alone it will be. Knife is in excellent shape and shows no signs of use or being subjected to a sharpener.

Take-a-part 110's is what the 186 was.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this particular Buck Model was reversed engineered by less than friendly owners for the purpose of mass production in the second and third worlds then!

ridgid said:

I have not handled a 186 that did not have a little wabble in it. The blade bushing is just slightly thicker than the blade so the titanium handle will not chew up the pivot area of the blade. The 110 has brass bolsters which if kept free of dirt does little to no damamge to the blade. I have disassembled and cleaned them and put them back together which has improved the wobble. It may also help to switch the rocker bushing with the blade bushing. I have seen like new looking 186's with excessive wobble due to the previous owner playing with them excessively. You may want to swap out the bushings to see if that helps.

I have four non users and one user which I carry daily. You just can't beat this knife no sheath required!

Back