Buck Tops CSAR-T vs Zero Tolerance ZT0302

I am going to second the Hogue ex01. I would take a ex01 over any ZT. As much as I like my ZT 301, the Hogue is lighter, just as strong if not stronger ( see test video) and smoother. It ozzes more quality feel than the ZT. It's a custom quality knife at 1/4 the price.

The only thing I can add about Buck knives is that I really like the performance of their ATS-34. I have one of their older Strider collabs.... while I'm not happy about the thickness of the liner lock, the knife cuts like crazy and holds a usable edge for a long time.

I don't have much experience with ZT, I have a 0200 but have never used it.

Boys?...sorry for my English!!!
Finally, I got my Buck CSAR-T and ZT0302!!!
You already know the zt0302, then I tell you only my impressions about the Buck!!!

1) Good Points:
... at first sight, I think it is a tank:D!!!...finished in an exceptional way and the blade is really wonderful.
Lock blade is very thick and solid...there is a slight difficulty to unlock the blade but nothing drastic, indeed, in this way gives me more security!!!
...ATS-34 steel processing is beautiful...gray satin "stain-proof"!!!
The thickness of the blade is also very much on the tip...... until now ... this is the blade more harder than I've ever seen on a folder.
There are no "games" or lateral movement of the blade!!!

2) Negative Aspects:
Opening the blade slightly hard...a drop of oil would do well:D...but no need register or to put hands to the screws (pin)!!!
I have not disassembled the knife but pins used does not seem hard as those of the ZT0302...maybe it's just my impression...should evaluate the strength using it for a few months.
I would have preferred a longer blade (also only 0.5 inches)...because at first glance, the knife seems to have a short blade.

Said that, I think to keep the Buck CSAR-T because for me this is a beautifull knife!!!

...after using it maybe change my mind:D:D:D...I hope not!!!
The ZT0302 is a fantastic knife but I'm not sure is better than the Buck...CSAR-T is different knife at first sight stronger than ZT0302!!! (Buck costs half of ZT:D)

I'll comment... I think your observations regarding these two knife are accurate. I own the Buck CSAR-T and have handled the ZT300 series. Despite all the "different league" blah, blah, blah statements these two knives are functionally quite close. The ZT is 2x the price of the Buck. You don't get a knife that is 2x better.

might try reading the whole sentence... goofball.

You might try being a decent human being.
Or perhaps look at the post which explained what the other person was saying without being a dick.
Or you could just go away (my preference on the matter).

I'll comment... I think your observations regarding these two knife are accurate. I own the Buck CSAR-T and have handled the ZT300 series. Despite all the "different league" blah, blah, blah statements these two knives are functionally quite close. The ZT is 2x the price of the Buck. You don't get a knife that is 2x better.
Wondering if you could expand on your general comments?

Hi Thomas,

Sure, I'll try my best. Both are, imo, heavy duty folders. According to the specs listed on one of the website I shop, they have identical weights (8.6 ounces). ZT has a 3.75" blade of S30V, and I believe it will be a better slicer than the 3.5" ATS-34 blade of the Buck. I give the nod to the Buck for tip strength. Both have grippy G10, with the ZT having a Titanium slab that I think is both beautiful and strong. I personally like Titanium construction in a knife and own a few. The quarter inch driver on the Buck is handy.

I know the lock on the Buck can be tough to release. A talk with A VP at Buck revealed that if was designed to lock up tight. His premise was make it fast into action, and make it slower to release after the action when time is not such a concern. He noted that Buck has sold a lot of the CSAR-T knives to our guys serving in the Middle East, as I'm sure ZT has.

Continued... (using my iphone, no scroll down)

The price on these two, imo, functionally similiar knives is the main difference. $81 for the Buck vs $236 for the ZT. I understand the ZT is well made, has S30V, and titanium. The Busk is well made also, and has a quality steel with a strong steel lock bar. For me, both knives will get the job done. But, I'd feel better about beating the crap out of the CSAR-T at it's lower price point. My 2 cents.

Back