Review Buck Vantage Pro small: Alaskan Guide edition

Smaug

Gold Member
This Alaskan Guide edition is the one that only Bass Pro and Cabela's carry. The shape is perfect, but more bulky than the typical tactical folder. It fills the hand without feeling bulky on the pocket.

CLIP - The clip is ambidextrous tip-up. The neat thing about the clip is that it is attached on the end of the knife, it runs in a little channel to keep it from rotating. Due to this, there are not unsightly holes all over the handle of the knife.

BLADE - It's a 1/8" (3 mm) thick S30V. It's full thickness out until the very tip of the blade, where it tapers off due to the saber grind. Behind the edge, it is hollow ground. The blade is DLC coated, which seems to sink right into the steel, like gun bluing.

DEPLOYMENT - The user has the option of using the oval hole or a the flipper. The flipper either requires a firm flick downward or a small bit of wrist action. The action is very smooth.

MANUFACTURE - Good ol' USA. Yeah! They seem to be able to build this knife domestically for the same price to the customer as some Chinese and Taiwanese-built knives with the same quality and blade steel. Nice going, Buck. I'm keeping my eye on you. I suspect this will only become a stronger trend after The steel tariffs that were recently put into play by Trump.

OVERALL - This knife is fantastic. Price is inline with that of equal quality Chinese-made folders, yet this is American-made, and with the excellent S30V steel. Action is smooth, it looks nice without any tactical pretensions, and it fills the hand better than its competition without feeling bulky on the pocket. I recommend this one wholeheartedly, and I kind of wish I had bought one of these in the 3.25" instead of my Delica. Delica's a great knife, but boring and plasticky. This one is just as good, but with a bit of class to it.

Below, watch my review video where I touch on the above and other things. I kept it brief.

Polite comments are welcome, even if they're critical. ;)

Back