Bucks that retain or grow in value, BOTM, Leroy Remer, Brian Yellowhorse, Custom shop????

When building a collection, with the the idea you want to buy stuff that will retain its value, if you buy smart and do not over pay,
what are your thoughts on adding the below. My focus is mainly 110 and 112 some 532. Where would you focus your dollars spent?

Brian Yellowhorse editions
Leroy Remer Editions
BOTM offerings
Custom shop builds and Buck limited editions
Coppernadclad, DLT, SMKW exclusive issues
Anniversary editions
Vintage NOS

Joe Houser
David Yellowhorse
Heath Stone
Jeff Legerton

*I see now that I misread your post. I thought you were asking for a list of builders/knives that may hold value and added a few more that were not on your list. My bad.*

Last edited:
When building a collection, with the the idea you want to buy stuff that will retain its value, if you buy smart and do not over pay,
what are your thoughts on adding the below. My focus is mainly 110 and 112 some 532. Where would you focus your dollars spent?

Brian Yellowhorse editions
Leroy Remer Editions
BOTM offerings
Custom shop builds and Buck limited editions
Coppernadclad, DLT, SMKW exclusive issues
Anniversary editions
Vintage NOS
Spend on what you like. I dont care for yellowhorse stuff but im the minority. Its nice, im not a turquoise guy.

Any limited edition knife or limited build are fun. Upgraded materials and or blade steels. 420 is a decent user steel. For collecting i prefer upgraded steels.

Most of the BOTM Bucks are reasonably priced so they hold there value..but not all. I always get a chuckle when I see a Custom shop 110 or 112 sell for way more than you can order one directly from Buck. Look for web specials and build outs because most are really limited and sell out quickly besides being odd..a lot of collectors like the odd ones. Join the BCCI because of the vast knowledge on there Website and you get a great discount on new Bucks! Remember to save ALL the paperwork and box as that is important to most collectors plus of course keep it in good condition. As a general rule of thumb Limited Edition's are better and the smaller the run the better too. 250 is common but many will be less. I like David Yellowhorse and always look for a bargain but don't have any of Brian's Bucks yet. Recognizing a bargain when you find one really means doing research on what they have sold for in the past so THAT means looking at Ebay completed listings and keeping a large watch list to see what newer Bucks are doing now.
Focus your collection because unless you are 'comfortable' and have lots of storage space you will end up with a out of control mushroom closet like many here lol! The biggest decision is whether you will actually use your knives or not. Really fancy newer Bucks that are sharpened and used drop in value quite a bit but older ones not so much. I like super steels and drop point 112's along with Nickel silver frames both to collect and use but others don't so buy what YOU like and you will always be happy. When you do find a real bargain Buck you don't collect remember you can always trade/sell it for one you do collect down the road. I made that mistake myself when I passed up incredible deals on non 112's at the Blade Show and other get together's..

Most of the BOTM Bucks are reasonably priced so they hold there value..but not all. I always get a chuckle when I see a Custom shop 110 or 112 sell for way more than you can order one directly from Buck. Look for web specials and build outs because most are really limited and sell out quickly besides being odd..a lot of collectors like the odd ones. Join the BCCI because of the vast knowledge on there Website and you get a great discount on new Bucks! Remember to save ALL the paperwork and box as that is important to most collectors plus of course keep it in good condition. As a general rule of thumb Limited Edition's are better and the smaller the run the better too. 250 is common but many will be less. I like David Yellowhorse and always look for a bargain but don't have any of Brian's Bucks yet. Recognizing a bargain when you find one really means doing research on what they have sold for in the past so THAT means looking at Ebay completed listings and keeping a large watch list to see what newer Bucks are doing now.
Focus your collection because unless you are 'comfortable' and have lots of storage space you will end up with a out of control mushroom closet like many here lol! The biggest decision is whether you will actually use your knives or not. Really fancy newer Bucks that are sharpened and used drop in value quite a bit but older ones not so much. I like super steels and drop point 112's along with Nickel silver frames both to collect and use but others don't so buy what YOU like and you will always be happy. When you do find a real bargain Buck you don't collect remember you can always trade/sell it for one you do collect down the road. I made that mistake myself when I passed up incredible deals on non 112's at the Blade Show and other get together's..
Great sound advice…appreciate it. Thanks….
I have a few users but pretty much just display the rest as eye candy…I like the copperandclad exclusives…sort of like the poor mans Buck custom shop, ha. Dogpound 77 has a great inventory and I scooped up a nice BOTM on ebay recently. There is a guy on craigslist locally that has a nice 110 50 year anniversary in blister pack unopened for 75 bucks I might buy. I can see myself getting a Leroy Remer and a David yellowhorse down the road but I wantbto save some moola for next year 112 special offerings, the legacy and the 50th anniversary and sport model comming out.

Last edited:
Like artwork, buy/ collect what you love. Then money becomes secondary.

Know what interests you, and focus on that. Learn what you can about those items.
When opportunities arise you'll have the ability to discern the good from bad.

When something says "limited" and they made 5,000 of them....... Lol.

This hobby has far too many people interested in it for the sole purpose of flipping.
They are not collecting.

It always impresses me when someone uses a limited knife.

Because my Buck bucks has been limited over the years (even gone to Buck jail lol) I HAD to pass on a lot of really interesting knives I really wanted to get and try out. I STILL want a Froe! Now that I have managed to acquire a decent amount of odd 112's I am looking for a few of the others that caught my eye over the years.
Picking a winner financially on a collectable Buck really means to me is not paying to much to begin with. THAT is the toughest decision a collector has to make! I have been searching for a BG42 112 since I started collecting and lost perhaps the coolest version of that 112 ( a Bucklite of all things!!) because I cheeped out bidding on a Ebay listing. Some Bucks you might only see once or twice in a lifetime so when one comes along ya got to 'Buckup' if you get the chance. It's a fine line you have to walk for a new collector. Any fool with fat wallet can overpay and accumulate a nice collection but it takes judgment, knowledge and most of all time to find a good deal. The best allegory I think is Big game hunting. Success means passing up lesser animals to find that trophy and of course being prepared for the hunt and all that entails. But sometimes ya just get lucky!

Great thread. Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you guys. I like the real "collector knives" myself but have mostly bought "using knives" like the Buck Alpha folder and more recently the Buck/Topps CSAR-T. Looking forward to a real keepsake I will be proud to pass down one day.

Just about every Buck knife will retain it's value or grow in value if kept new in box.

If still in production a new in box example should be worth what a new one costs at the time, unless something about the model changes in which case it may be more desirable and worth more.

Back