1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Congratulations winners! The Week 2 Giveaway has ended over on our YouTube Channel and here are the winners:
    BladeForums Logo Sticker: Impulse600
    BladeForums Velcro Patch: garythegoat
    BladeForums Logo Tshirt: crocgator106
    BladeForums paid subscription upgrade: billygoat78

Darrel Ralph Dominator 35: norcaldude Winners will be contacted by PM / email, so look for my message!
  4. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Buddy asks for best chefs knife.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by KnivesAreHot, Nov 6, 2018.

1. KnivesAreHot

KnivesAreHot

Sep 16, 2017
    As a cook, I said off the bat wenckel. I dont want him to get a custom and be disappointed, either. Any suggestions?

2. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Wustof 4582/26

3. KnifeRep

KnifeRep Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 5, 2018
    That’s the knife my wife used for 23 years as a professional chef, she bought it in New York in the mid 1980’s, it’s still in excellent condition. I sharpen all the knives in our home and this one’s a joy typically only requiring a few passes on a regular cut F Dick steel. You should see her use it.

[​IMG]

KR

Smaug and marchone like this.
  4. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    What price range? If you are looking at something in the same range as that Wusthof, I would maybe look at a Misono UX-10.

Seesteel likes this.
  5. KnivesAreHot

KnivesAreHot

Sep 16, 2017
    What about like, maybe a little more, and the perfect knife? None of those $2000 knives but is there something else?

6. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    I agree, we should.

Maybe you could take a quick video, upload to YouTube and share it with us? (being serious) I'd love to see a pro use that knife.

KnifeRep likes this.
  7. KnifeRep

KnifeRep Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Hmmm, sounds like a good idea to me too, I’ll ask the Chef.

KR

8. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    If you are looking something like one piece forged Chef's 8"(203.2mm) 15° blade edge with Walnut handle & under $150.
    My vote is for Messermeister Royale Elite Chef's knife. This brand is not marketed as aggressively as others, but I think you got one of the best value quality item in that price range.

fullsizeoutput_8b9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8bd.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  9. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    You can get a 210mm UX10 all day long for around $160 which cis not much different than what they get for the 180mm. The big price jump is when you go up to the 240mm.

10. roosterscrow

roosterscrow

Oct 20, 2012
    My go to for the last few years has been a
    Kohetsu Aogami Super Gyuto 210mm
    I purchased mine through Chef Knives To Go.

11. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    I am currently working on a budget chef knife < $100 with HAP40 steel and a good design. I don't mean to plug QUITE yet, but I truly believe it may be one of the best on the market when it comes out.
    I'd suggest keeping an eye on it.

as for other knives, The Wustof that was suggested is a formidable tool when used by a pro.

Take a look at my forum post for more info.

12. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    When you do start actually plugging, you'll have to go for a paid membership. You are starting to inch closer towards that line. Check the guidelines here: https://www.bladeforums.com/help/exchange-rules/

13. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    I did not realize that. Ill have to take a look at membership plans. My apologies.