Recommendation? Budget fixed blade knife...with a twist

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by OneWithNature, Jul 21, 2020.

1. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    Another vote for the Ruike F-118 Jager. Then spend a little more and get your choice of Cold Steel tomahawk. You'll be well served.

Edit: The Kabar just above would be another really good choice.

buckfynn likes this.
  2. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    Observation:
    It’s not nice to speak ill of the dead. Bringing his kids into it is just a chickenshit thing to do.

3. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Steve may have been goofy, but nothing wrong with having a passion for wildlife. And nothing wrong with his kids and wife keeping that alive...we love watching their show The Irwins about the Australia Zoo.

4. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    ESEE 4.

5. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    ESEE 4 or the LT Wright Bushcrafter HC, spend a little more.

6. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    His kids are following in his footsteps with their own show, doing the same stupid things.

7. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I did not know there was a Steve Irwin budget fixed blade, or that his children have a model too.

Oh wait, because there isn’t one.

:) AE0F34D3-C7B9-4326-9091-2BCDE2671E56.jpeg

PirateSeulb likes this.
  8. JBC6650

JBC6650 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Combo of an Ontario spec plus line and a Mora would do what you need on a budget. If you can stretch that a little go for an Esse 6 and then a cheap Mora, one of the thinner ones.

9. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I just bought myself one of these. I love it!

10. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    Maybe I’m missing something here, but how do you compare a survival expert with a wildlife conservationist and environmentalist? They weren’t even remotely comparable.
    Also: Bear Gryllis filmed his tv show for 6 years. You think he was just going to sleep outside and eat grubs for 6 years straight?
    The man spent three years in the SAS, and is a trained expert and accomplished adventurer.

11. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    The Mora Companion is a decent outdoor knife for less than $15 if you look around . Buck 119 is even better at around $50 .
    [​IMG]

12. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I'd handle as many different knives as I could. There are so many variables in a handle, but it all comes down to how does it feel in your hand. I love the Becker BK16, but others find the handle to be on the small side.

13. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I'd get that kabar. It meets your requirements, except for a full tang which you don't need unless you're doing something you shouldn't, and it is time-tested.

OneWithNature, Lee D and DangerZone98 like this.