Budget Fixed Blades?

Hey guys,

I did a search but didn't see anything on this, so forgive me if it's been discussed.

Has Spyderco ever released, or even considered, any budget fixed blade knives? I know about the $70-$120 knives but I was wondering about the $30-$50 range for a 3.5" or so blade.

I know it's probably a crowded market, but I think Spyderco could really stand out.

Moran series. Mule Team.

There are much better budget FB options than Spyderco. I am a huge Spyderco fan but their FB's appeal is good handle material and steels with innovative designs. Nothing about that would indicate budget blade

Maybe someday they will make an attempt with their Byrd line. Probably not, but if they were to try and enter that market, that would make more sense.

I remember a few years back Spyderco did do a fixed blade model that was meant to be inexpensive and to be used for a wide range of uses. The VAGABOND model is one that few people remember but I've even wondered if it would be a good candidate for a Sprint Run? Also I wish they had offered the VAGABOND model in SE.

Now the TEMP 1 which is my personal favorite Spyderco fixed blade ever. It was one of the few Spyderco fixed blades that they offered in Plain Edge and Spyderedge both. And it was a relatively affordable fixed blade model and I always like the sheaths that they came in.

Also the Swick was one I considered to be affordable as well.

I remember a few years back Spyderco did do a fixed blade model that was meant to be inexpensive and to be used for a wide range of uses. The VAGABOND model is one that few people remember but I've even wondered if it would be a good candidate for a Sprint Run? Also I wish they had offered the VAGABOND model in SE.

Now the TEMP 1 which is my personal favorite Spyderco fixed blade ever. It was one of the few Spyderco fixed blades that they offered in Plain Edge and Spyderedge both. And it was a relatively affordable fixed blade model and I always like the sheaths that they came in.

Also the Swick was one I considered to be affordable as well.

:) Plus 1 for a Vagabond sprint run.

If I remember correctly Sal said the molds for the Vagabond were modified to make the molds for the Aqua Salt handles so there are no longer Vagabond molds.

The next Phil Wilson collaboration will be a Bow River made in China with 8cr13. That should fit the criteria of the OP. We don't know price yet but it should be reasonable.

If I remember correctly Sal said the molds for the Vagabond were modified to make the molds for the Aqua Salt handles so there are no longer Vagabond molds.

The next Phil Wilson collaboration will be a Bow River made in China with 8cr13. That should fit the criteria of the OP. We don't know price yet but it should be reasonable.

You're right about the tooling for the VAGABOND model being no longer available. I remember that now that you mentioned it. I was really sorry to hear about the VAGABOND and CENTOFANTE C-50 models both having their tooling eliminated.

I still say that the original TEMP 1 model would be a great candidate for an affordable fixed blade to return to the line up. Because both the PE & SE TEMP 1 models were affordable at the time they were in the main line up.

Back