Budget Grey Man Tactical Pants?

Hey y'all,

Do you know of any budget Grey Man tactical pants? I like the denim look over the ripstop nylon. I really like the 5.11 Defender pants, but I don't know if I want to spend that much money on them. Maybe I will later. I also like the LAPG Urban Ops Pants but I don't really like that "tactical" look of the ripstop nylon. I'm looking for something non-discreet that has more/bigger pockets than regular blue jeans. Cargo pockets are ok, as long as they aren't to baggy. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
John

Check out the Wrangler Riggs cargo pants, I've been really happy with them at ~$30 a pair.

~Chip

How many $$$ do you want to spend? Being tactical and low drag doesn't usually come that cheap. Just rolling with regular jeans could be your best bet.

There is a pretty good run in the world of jeans with mag pockets or holster fixtures but they're not at the cheap end of the pants spectrum.

You could do something like Carharts or other work pants, depends on what your overall needs are. Personally when people are blending in its more how they act than what they are wearing, though a few things can throw flags (tailored suit and polished danners?)

How many $$$ do you want to spend? Being tactical and low drag doesn't usually come that cheap. Just rolling with regular jeans could be your best bet.

There is a pretty good run in the world of jeans with mag pockets or holster fixtures but they're not at the cheap end of the pants spectrum.
I don’t know, I was thinking around the $20-40 range but I’m not really seeing any good options in that price range. I might just have to bite the bullet and get the defenders from 5.11 . I like the LAPG Urban Ops pants and I might get a pair still. I think the 5.11 defenders are exactly what I’m looking for though. I am just not crazy about the $70 price tag, but then again I have multi hundred dollar folders so...:D

I’ve had several LAPG emails recently with super closeout prices on tactical/cargo pants in the $20 range.

The general rule though, is if something has the word tactical in the name, it is automatically more expensive.

I don’t know, I was thinking around the $20-40 range but I’m not really seeing any good options in that price range. I might just have to bite the bullet and get the defenders from 5.11 . I like the LAPG Urban Ops pants and I might get a pair still. I think the 5.11 defenders are exactly what I’m looking for though. I am just not crazy about the $70 price tag, but then again I have multi hundred dollar folders so...:D
Look for Carlos Ray pants. See if they'll work.

The 5.11 Apex are so unobtrusive that they might fit the bill for you, particularly in black. They do have cargo pockets, but practically invisible unless stuffed full of gear. Very good trousers [pants].

Look for Carlos Ray pants. See if they'll work.
These are very comfortable and a bit more low key than LAPG pants. I like both, and the LAPG pants are definitely cheaper. Every now and then Tactical Distributors will run a sale on the Carlos Ray pants so keep an eye out for those.

For a bit more than the Carlos Ray pants you might also want to take a look at Kuhl pants.

These are very comfortable and a bit more low key than LAPG pants. I like both, and the LAPG pants are definitely cheaper. Every now and then Tactical Distributors will run a sale on the Carlos Ray pants so keep an eye out for those.

For a bit more than the Carlos Ray pants you might also want to take a look at Kuhl pants.
Yeah I like Kuhl. Maybe a bit more expensive though and not as tactical, IE no mag pockets. For me I see Kuhl as fitting in that "nice" outdoor clothing niche where you could wear in the woods hiking or swinging an axe and also wear it into a nice (by my standard of nice anyway) place to eat and not look out of place. So the grey is a lock but maybe not the other half of the equation.

On the other side of the coin are the Arceryx pants. Way more noticeable as tactical. And ten times the price too in some cases.

I'm a LAPG cargo pant guy too. I'd say don't worry about the "tactical" look. Great pants for $.

Other options include Dickies, Cabelas, and Bass Pro Shop. Maybe a hiking pant is more your style.

Try the LAPG "Operator Tactical" w/o the lower leg pockets. I wear them every day at work at town hall because they give me exactly enough pockets to use. Badge, eyeglass case, cell phone, car and truck keys, wallet, EDC folder, flashlight all have a place. The rip stop fabric treatment sheds dirt and stains and wears like iron. I wear a size up for IWB comfort. For less than $25 I'm done searching for something else.

I've found a few that I consider suitable for daily wear without the tactical look. The previously mentioned Wrangler Riggs pants have served me well, and more recently, the DTC DuluthFlex Foreman's Pants. They might be my favorites, although they aren't true cargo pants in that they don't have all the extra pockets. The quality is definitely there, but they cost double the Wranglers and triple the LAPG Core Cargo pants that I ordered during one of their sales.

Duluth all the way. Love all the models with DuluthFlex personally. Worth the expense, long lasting, silly comfortable. Close 2nd is Eddie Bauer flex pants, can't remember the model

I just ordered the LAPG Urban Ops pants in Coyote and Sierra this morning. I'll let y'all know if I like them. I really wanted some kind of tactical jeans, but i'm sure I will love these, and they are so much cheaper:D

For the past couple of years I've worn Tru-SPec 24/7 pants almost exclusively. They do have cargo pockets, but they do not scream tactical IMO, and they fit well in many environments with various attire. Plus they are rather affordable. Most importantly for me, however, are the dedicated "knife" pockets on both sides. After becoming used to this, this option has become a must for me as it allows me to carry my four most common EDC items securely and comfortably. I carry my primary folder clipped in my right hip pocket, a Karambit reverse grip in my left hip pocket, and that leaves the two knife pockets which perfectly hold my Victorinox Swisstool and Surefire Aviator flashlight. I have these pants in a few different colors and I even like them so much that I had a local seamstress make a handful of pairs into shorts for me (they make shorts, but I like mine longer).

I have been looking into new options lately though, particularly without cargo pockets. I've considered the 5.11 Defender but I'm not sure if I could store my Swisstool securely in them. I've also seen a few pair of Vertx that look promising.

This is what I was talking about with the Tru-Specs. The Swisstool actually sits completely down in that pocket, I just had it partially sticking out for the purposes of the picture. On the other side I carry my flashlight in that pocket. They both sit right up to the hip and stay perfectly secure without moving around.

CHhbwWJ.jpg

I just ordered the LAPG Urban Ops pants in Coyote and Sierra this morning. I'll let y'all know if I like them. I really wanted some kind of tactical jeans, but i'm sure I will love these, and they are so much cheaper:D
Any updates? I've just ordered a pair after the crotch ripped out of my duluth pants today (@ less than 8 months old)

I figure at 1/4the price if I get over a couple months of wear I'll be willing to buy them again, if not I think I'll try the tru-spec next.

I wear Dickies 5 pocket jeans. I've done lots of tactical activities in them.

19095307_234214163750321_9181167352630043810_o(1).jpg

Back