BUDO: The Art of Killing documentary sword footage

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have an interesting and obscure documentary about the Japanese Budo, and have uploaded the sword segment for all to see. It was said to contain the first slow-motion, high-speed camera footage ever taken of cutting with a Japanese sword. Enjoy!

Sam

The swordsman that is featured in that documentary was my instructor for many years

His name is Suji

He was one of the highest ranked Kendo practitioner’s In the country

That was filmed when he was a young man

Here we are together many years ago in New York at a Kendo tournament together

I was in my 20’s he was in his 50’s

I trained under him for 5 years ...3 nights a week 3 hours a night

He taught me Kendo , Iaido and Iku Jitsu

When he went back to Japan I was very sad

Sam

The swordsman that is featured in that documentary was my instructor for many years

His name is Suji

He was one of the highest ranked Kendo practitioner’s In the country

That was filmed when he was a young man

Here we are together many years ago in New York at a Kendo tournament together

I was in my 20’s he was in his 50’s

I trained under him for 5 years ...3 nights a week 3 hours a night

He taught me Kendo , Iaido and Iku Jitsu

When he went back to Japan I was very sad

Damn, that is cool. Small world...or small internet. Had you seen that documentary footage of Suji before?

IMO. the entire film is worth reposting from time to time. Although panned in Japan when repleased, there are quite a few memorable moments. Taking on a locomotive and chopping glass bottles amongst them.

Cheers
GC

IMO. the entire film is worth reposting from time to time. Although panned in Japan when repleased, there are quite a few memorable moments. Taking on a locomotive and chopping glass bottles amongst them.

Cheers
GC

It's quite a show. I've had the dvd of Budo for a decade, but have never seen any clips of it online. Well, now most of the sword stuff can be seen.

Many times buddy :)

Can't just watch it once! :D

It's quite a show. I've had the dvd of Budo for a decade, but have never seen any clips of it online. Well, now most of the sword stuff can be seen.
Can't just watch it once! :D

Really? I know I have posted it here at least once before

My second most reposted Japanese film bit I've put up would be the yari duel in The Hidden Forest

Toshira Mifune is the greatest samurai actor of all time and Akira Kurosawa is possibly the greatest director of all time

Both are undisputably great.

How ever, Shintaro Katsu in the Zatoichi role is not to be sneezed at.

Really? I know I have posted it here at least once before

My second most reposted Japanese film bit I've put up would be the yari duel in The Hidden Forest

Well, I'll be. Could have sworn I'd searched for it in the past and came up with no hits. Oh well, guess it's posted again! :D

There are a number of forging videos. This one for general consumption

There was the Making A Masterpiece from the Secrets of the Samurai from PBS and an even older (1980s) NOVA with another sword making video.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/samurai/swor-nf.html

This is a wonderful video

I meet Yoshinda Yoshihara many years ago in New York

The book The Japanese Sword by Satō features him and is a classic

I read it in my youth and it feed my desire interest and love of the Japanese sword

That book was with me along with a lot of other reference material when I used to go sword hunting

I found some great blades over the years some 400 years old

It eventually lead me to commission pieces like this made to my dimensions and taste

This piece was forged by the the late great Louis Mills and Rick Barret and mounted by Rick

Crazy activity in this blade

I have around 40 katana, some very nice, but NOTHING like that. :( Very happy for you, since you obviously appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Back