Recommendation? Bugout 20CV or S90V?

I currently have the standard, blue Bugout, and I'm thinking about ordering a second with all satin hardware and maybe a higher end steel to put some Flytanium titanium scales on to be kind of a nicer knife. What do you guys think about the 20CV and S90V that Benchmade does with these? I've read that their comparison charts aren't very accurate, so how do they really compare? To each other and to the standard S30V?

20cv all the way. Yes s90 has better edge retention, but you are likely not going to notice the difference under general use conditions. 20 will strop back fairly easily, if you do it regularly. s90 is a pain in the arse to deal with period, and it's edge holding ability over 20cv validate the added trouble when dealing with it.

The 20cv Bugout from BladeHQ is well worth it's cost, especially if your going to scale swap it anyway. That's what I did with the one I picked up.

Ug8i3GMl.jpg

TXPO

I have a decent pile of S90-V Benchmades, and they've all been doing a GRERAT job!
Having said that: my much smaller pile of 20CV knives has been equally impressive...
I'd hate to live on the difference between them.
If you want something a bit more exclusive: go with 20CV.
If you want bragging rights: get yourself some S90-V,
Happy Shopping!

If you really like the bugout, might as well go all out. I have the cf/s90v version and I’m content with having the best. I also have the M4 version (2 of them). I beat on the M4 and gentleman carry the s90v. :cool::thumbsup:

M4 is tough: no doubt about that!
The only downside to it; is that you have to go through the Custom Shop to get it.
CF S90-V Bugouts are an off the shelf item...

PM me with a link to them. I got tangled up in all sorts of picture stores...

Thanks! I had never heard of them...
I REALLY love my Custom Shop M4 Mini-Grip!
Lol it’s SMKW.. but yes I have a custom shop Bugout in M4 I bought titanium scales for and it’s solid. I really like Benchmade M4… nice and toothy and never failed me.

Grandpa, WW1 combat vet, would be astonished by many current materials and tech, including knife steel.
I love Benchmade's 20cv (and m390) along with every steel they sell, 20cv lasts a very long time as a pocket knife, and I simply bring it back to sharp with uncoated levi or 4-6µ hone. Enjoying Spyderco's s90 Native enough to wonder about Benchmade's, thx for the various perspectives.

Last edited:
My new favorite steel is 20CV. I saw a corrosion test on the tube and 20CV stood up really well and is not hard at all to ReSharper if need be. I'd go 20CV all day long

I finally broke down, and ordered the 535-3 Bugout...
Carbon Fiber scales, and S90V steel: what's not to love about that?
It'll be the perfect Big Brother to my Mini-B!

Last edited:
Back