Build-your-own-knife feature?

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by DangerZone98, Sep 15, 2020.

1. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    What are your thoughts on customizing your own CS knife with pre-set options? Similar to what Buck has on its own website. While I’m quite happy with my CS folders, it would be awesome to change up the scales, scale colors, steel type, and finish of certain knives. I think models like the Recon 1, American Lawman, AD-10, and Voyager would work really well with this feature.

Can’t have everything, but I’d love to see CS try this in some form down the road. What do you think?

2. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Great idea, but I'm afraid the lag time from order to receipt and cost would be prohibitive. Their business model has worked so far for them so I don't see them moving into something like that.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  3. Wurger190

Wurger190 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2014
    I like the fact that Cold Steel doesn't do that tbh.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  4. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Buck can do this because they actually make knives.

Cold steel does not make knives, so that isn't going to happen.

jbmonkey, nephron, insta9ves and 2 others like this.
  5. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :rolleyes: I'm just happy when CS can manage to keep their catalog items in stock ! ;)

6. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    This ^
    People don’t realize that CS is just a knife design and marketing company.

nephron, 115Italian and DangerZone98 like this.
  7. Cold Steel Knives

Cold Steel Knives Moderator Moderator

Apr 16, 2013
    We've been looking into something like this for a while now, but it will likely end up just being that we sell parts individually. Example, we may start stocking multiple colors/versions of scales so that you can swap them out without buying a whole new knife (black to tan, green to orange, etc). Probably will not be able to go as far as swapping/selecting blade steels and such, mostly cosmetics. Still a ways off from this though.

8. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Great, so when will I get another sheath option except crappy secure-ex?

deadzonepatrol and DangerZone98 like this.
  9. GlockMonkey

GlockMonkey

Sep 8, 2002
    This would be great to see. Hopefully you can add some options for different style pocket clips as well.

10. Cold Steel Knives

Cold Steel Knives Moderator Moderator

Apr 16, 2013
    We discussed deep carry clips pretty heavily this year. Hoping to incorporate those as well.

11. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    The scales sound like a good idea. Spyderco proved that orange or red scales can be just as fun as tacticool black scales.

Like my friend @Smiling said, it would also be great if we could purchase nylon or kydex alternatives to the Secure-Ex sheaths. While we could always get custom sheaths, it’s nice to have a kydex sheath already premade for the specific knife. The interior glass lining is apparently proving problematic for some users.

12. deadzonepatrol

deadzonepatrol

Apr 11, 2019
    Would it be that difficult to offer a leather sheath as a separate after market purchase? I always have to dig through all the garbage on evil bay to find a decent leather replacement for my secure ex CS knives and sheathless knives by other companies. I usually pay anywhere from $20-$40 for leather sheaths. If CS offered them, I'd save a lot of time and just get them from CS. They'd fit better too.

Smiling and DangerZone98 like this.