Building a disc grinder {What kind of paper to use}

BenR.T.

Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So I just got a motor and I have the rest of the parts on order. I went with the Nielson disc system, and am curious what paper I should get. :confused::confused:
Should I just get the cheap A/O stuff or what? I was thinking about ordering Rhynowet redline, but it is a bit more expensive.
I plan on using 80grit and up.
Also any tips on using a disc grinder would be appreciated as well. It will be hooked up through my vfd.

I would recommend the redline paper. The AO stuff doesn't last nearly as long, so even though the paper is a bit more expensive, it'll be cheaper in the long run...

Redline is AO afaik, but it supposed to be great paper. Its made by Mirka, and they're practically famous in some circles. I've been planning an order of Mirka Gold to try myself.

One thing we don't discuss much here, is the variety of paper available, with just as many weights and backings as belts. For instance; you can buy J-Flex cloth backed "paper", or heavier weight cloth backed paper, or even padded paper.

My lady is buying me a neilson disc system for my bday, to replace my beveled aluminum disc and old flat steel disc. I'm excited. I have to admit, I *hate* the beveled discs.

Use what ever paper you like! That's the big plus to a disc grinder. Its all I use other than a 1x30. I only have a flat disc but have been wanting to try a beveled disc. Javand, care to discuss the details of your beveled disc?

I like a tool rest that goes around the edge of the disc for doing inside edges on small parts that require the use of a disc, like folder parts.

-Xander

Cool, Ben!
I use the Rhynowet paper for all kinds of applications and my disc is no exception. You're good to go. I order from Supergrit, but for grits more coarse than the 280 I get their SC sheets in 180, 150, and 100. Usually it's Deer brand and it works great on the disc while also being a fair amount cheaper.

I think Mirka Gold and Mirka Bulldog are SC versions of Rhynowet, but I may be mistaken.

Xander: On paper, I love the idea of a beveled disc, or rather; on description. I got one a few months ago, but my issue with it, is that by beveling 1deg, it's ultimately cone shaped, which for flattening, as someone who surface grinds ricassos anyway, and shoots for dead flat, causes issues. It really encourages you to use the disc in one direction also. If the disc is horizontal, it encourages the horizontal axis. On a flat disc you can work on either axis without worrying about the cone shape.

Personally I feel the axial grab in any direction on my beveled disc, and I see it on my surface plate. If you're primarily doing edge bevels on your disc, I can see the advantage of a beveled disc, but if you're flattening, especially ricasso for press fit guards, bear in mind that regardless of axis, a beveled disc is concave. If you're fitting a perfect press fit guard within 2-5 thou, it's an issue imho.

YMMV, but I'm buying flat plates for my nielson system.

I've seen both zirc and blaze discs available in 60 and 120 grits (IIRC) on Trugrit and Supergrit, anyone have have any comments or recommendations on using these before switching to Rhynowet for the finer grits? I haven't tried the Rhynowet paper but I have used Blaze belts on the 1x30.

I've been using a home made disc on the face plate of my wood lathe but I want to start buying parts for a disc grinder like the OP's.

I've seen both zirc and blaze discs available in 60 and 120 grits (IIRC) on Trugrit and Supergrit, anyone have have any comments or recommendations on using these before switching to Rhynowet for the finer grits? I haven't tried the Rhynowet paper but I have used Blaze belts on the 1x30.

I've been using a home made disc on the face plate of my wood lathe but I want to start buying parts for a disc grinder like the OP's.

I bought the 60 and 120 Blaze discs. They last a long time. I think the Nielsen System is where they would shine. I've peeled the three I've used off and trashed them when moving up and down grits long before they were done cutting. I bought 3M feathering adhesive to try with them from now on.

I remember that Stacy mentioned keeping a piece of worn out paper on the disc which made it easier to remove stuff. What you could do is attack the blaze disk to an old, used up disk, and then use feathering adhesive on that disc. Just a thought.

I use the same set up, a 9" disc on a wood lathe with the bed taken off. I have had decent luck with the 60 and 100 grit Diablo brand paper from Home Depot. I find that thy last just the right amount of time, usually getting worn out when it's time t switch to finer grits anyways. I need to get some feathering adhesive, I just use 3M super 77 spray and it works as a peel and stick after about the third paper I put on.

-Xander

I bought the 60 and 120 Blaze discs. They last a long time. I think the Nielsen System is where they would shine. I've peeled the three I've used off and trashed them when moving up and down grits long before they were done cutting. I bought 3M feathering adhesive to try with them from now on.

Brian,
Mike Queesenberry suggested I try Krylon Easy Tack re-positional adhesive spray. Bingo! You can take discs off and put them back on all day. The stuff works really well. I found it at a Michael's craft supply store, but it's available online as well. I find it best to spray it on the back of the sheet of paper and wave the paper around a few seconds to get it semi dry and tacky, then apply it to the disc, press it down and wait a minute or so before trimming the excess paper. A week later you can go peel it right off and reuse it again if need be.

I have had decent luck with the 60 and 100 grit Diablo brand paper from Home Depot. I find that thy last just the right amount of time, usually getting worn out when it's time t switch to finer grits anyways. I need to get some feathering adhesive, I just use 3M super 77 spray and it works as a peel and stick after about the third paper I put on.

-Xander

I need to try some of the Diablo brand, I've been using 3M SC wet or dry and it just doesn't last very long at all. I go through a ton of SC wet or dry using it on the disc.

Can either the Feathering Adhesive or the Krylon Easy Tack be used to reapply a PSA disc like zirc or Blaze after you've peeled them off? Does putting adhesive on adhesive cause any problems?

Super 77 adhesive works well but I learned it's easiest to peel the paper off immediately when I'm through, if I leave the paper on for a week or so I'll have trouble removing it.

I've been using Loctite 200 (middle weight, high initial tack) spray with real good results for the last month or so. You just lightly spray only the paper, let it dry for 15 seconds or so and stick. Holds great and peels off super easy.

I have use 3-M and Franklin Feathering disc adhesives. Both work great and with quality paper they allow for easy removal Repositioning perfectly is the hard part for me. If for some reason the glue has set hard I just warm up the disc with the old propane torch and it come off much easier and I do not get any adhesive transfer. The one time I kept track I got 25 changes before I began needing to re apply the adhesive. For paper quality, I use a good open coat AO in 40 grit for hogging. For finer grit I have gone to the rynowhet. It is abobut 1/3 less than 3-m and has a really good consistent grit.

Thanks guys! any tips or pointers on how and what you use it for the most?
I should end up with about a dozen discs, so I shouldn't have to change paper too often! ;)

The best I have found to use was latigo Leather on my disc, you can change the paper easy and put back on with out having to spray it again.

Back