Building a forge

Well, guys, the BBQ heat treatment isn't my bag. Going to build a forge for knivemaking. I've read all the web sites, digested most of it, and settled on a design. I'll be using a modified Weil burner, with a mig tip for the burner. Maybe the side-armed one. My question is how large to make it, and what shape?

I've read about the freon bottle ones.....no have, and too much work. I can get pipe up to 14" diameter. Or can build a metal box. Is the shape important to you guys? Does it need a flat floor, and a rack to hold the blade vertical? How about a thermometer?? Before settling on a final design I want to hear from you guys that actually use one for making blades, ok?

My needs are for HT blades up to 12", and forging some to shape.......Do you like a big door? Or is a small opening at each end ok? I believe the only requirement is for a 4" square opening at one end for it to breath properly. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help....

Mike

Mark Williams

I like a round shape for the flame to be able to swirl around inside the forge. I guess it's just preferance because a lot of guys use square shaped forges and they work just fine.

Look at Darren Ellis's webpage at the forge gallery. Lots to look at for ideas.

Not to take away from someone selling the units, but if you are on a budget you can build one.

There is a good book available from www.lindsaybks.com for a forge/heat treat oven that should serve all your purposes. The book has all the drawings and information you need to assemble one. Even has details for an analog pyrometer...

I bought the book and several others from there, and I like the looks of that one especially. They also have some decent books on foundry stuff too.

Doc

Doc Hollywood said:
There is a good book available from www.lindsaybks.com for a forge/heat treat oven that should serve all your purposes. The book has all the drawings and information you need to assemble one. Even has details for an analog pyrometer...

Doc

Well, Doc, I went there but couldn't find the book you mentioned. Can you give me a title? I ordered the catalog anyway........thanks,,

Mike

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
That looks very tempting......any word on whether or not it can reach welding temp?

You may want to look at the other gingery books as well.

I build the charcoal foundry from the scrap series, and I have to admit I am impressed. I bought the set and am planning on making the whole set of equipment, but maybe sizing them up some so I can necessitate some better useable equipment.

The foundry stuff may appeal to you in the sense that you can add a whole new dimension to the furniture on your blades....if you can carve it in wax you can cast it in anything that will melt for you...

Doc