Building a rolling mill, step by step. WIP

I finally got a metal working lathe in my shop so its time to build a rolling mill! This will be a 4 or 5 week project because my money gets split into surface grinder parts, damascus materials, the rolling mill, and lathe bits and tooling.

Here are the drawings I did this morning based on Delbert Ealy's rolling mill. I couldn't figure out how to convert auto cad drawings to JPG so I had to print them and scan them. Some of the detail/lines got lost though scanning, sorry.

If you haven't been trained on auto cad the pictures might confuse you. Each picture contains the front, top, and side of each part.

Top roller
File0003.jpg

Bottom roller.
File0004.jpg

The sides are drawn with the bearings in them.
Top/outside Sides
File0002.jpg

Bottom/Inside sides
File0001.jpg

Assembled mill
File0005.jpg

:D

I couldn't figure out how to convert auto cad drawings to JPG[/IMG]

If you hit the "Print Screen" key you can paste whatever was on the screen as an image into your favorite image editing program. If Picasa is running while you hit the Print Screen key it will automatically save the image.

Last edited:
Ahhh! Thanks!

I was only thought to design in 2d and 3d; the teacher didn't get into converting formats(is that the right term?). I'll do that and post better pictures tomorrow.

Ahhh! Thanks!

I was only thought to design in 2d and 3d; the teacher didn't get into converting formats(is that the right term?). I'll do that and post better pictures tomorrow.

if you want any help doing 3D models let me know.

Thanks J, I'm pretty good with 3D; I just haven't done it in two years. If I get stuck I'll give you a shout. :)

As for the rolling mill I'm going to get a price quote for having the sides machined. I could just do the cuts with the torch and drill the holes but I would rather have it done on a mill.

Dan,
If you need any help with the design or have any questions, I would be happy to help.

It works good, but I am actually planning on building a new one with some design mods.
Not bad though for something I designed in my head driving back from a knife show. :D
Del

How about damascus questions? I've heard your a treasure chest of great information and I would be honored to be able to chat with you if you have any free time.

For the mill I'm pretty good, designed so the rollers can be turned down over .25 (if damaged) without replacement. Designed so the rollers can be brought down an extra .38 without any parts touching (the rollers would be replaced by then anyways.) To be honest your design is so straight forward it was fairly easy to reverse engineer from the pictures. Thanks again for the pictures!

Not bad at all! It will work better for my needs and cost way less than a Mcdonald rolling mill.

Are there any updates on this thread?

Pictures? PITA points you ran into ?

In looking at this, i suppose Delbert is repeatedly running material through from one end to the other and catching it out the backside - with tongs

as opposed to the macdonald which feeds towards the user and has easily adjustable thickness "bite" so that the user can use rebar handles easily.

Delbert - what is the maximum bite, or reduction you can achieve on one pass?
-what modifications would you make on your next build?

123, so far I have the 1050 normalized for turning down on the lathe. I need a dial indicator first since I can't have the rollers off by more than .01 or I'll be wasting my time. So far the biggest PITA is lack of funds but after the holidays the damascus market should speed back up.

Also for mine rather than have to catch the piece with tongs it will drop onto a sloped metal surface. First surface will move it to the side and the next will slope towards me. I'm gonna have to test how much of a slope I will need before I build it though.

I've seen pictures of the macdonald rolling mill and considered building one; but I don't think it would be precise enough for what I do. Also I have a large power hammer for almost all the work, my rolling mill will only see steel in half inch or smaller.

Edit, found what looked to be a dial indicator last night on one of my late fathers homemade tools but it was too dark in the basement to be sure. Just checked a minute ago and it is! Measures to .001 so I just need to build a magnetic stand for it and I'll be able to resume work. :thumbup:

Last edited:
The second picture is at an angle .If you don't straighten it you'll make tapered bars ! LOL
I wonder if a pasta rolling machine would work ?

Well after 6 hours in an 18 degree shop...

turningmillrollers001.jpg

The end is within .007 and the center will be also. For some reason the ends were perfectly centered (to each other) but the middle of the bar was out by .040... but 1050 at $.50 a pound, can't complain.

I need to order a real flat belt for my lathe and replace the 1/3-1/2 hp motor with the 2hp I have laying around. She'll turn metal like there's no tomorrow and I can avoid hypothermia. :D Right now I'm limited to 1/32" deep, slow passes since the leather belt slips so much. Anyways I should have this roller finished tomorrow. :)

I need to order a real flat belt for my lathe ....the leather belt slips so much. Anyways I should have this roller finished tomorrow. :)

Belt dressing works wonders

A flat belt can be made up from a discarded automotive serpentine belt.
Cut and splice together with a couple of eyelets and a bit of paracord or shoelace.

I have seen this work personally.
It's very cheap, and the rubber has a better grip than the leather.

Just be sure to place the eyelets well away from the edge to prevent tear out.

If you need help milling slots send them to me, I would be happy to help, No Charge, you pick up the shipping. Flat rate priority is cheap.

If you need help milling slots send them to me, I would be happy to help, No Charge, you pick up the shipping. Flat rate priority is cheap.

:eek: Wow! Thank you! I think I will take you up on that offer when the time comes. Do you like damascus? If you do I'll toss in a bar for payment. :)

Chuck, no I didn't. I haven't had the extra cash to purchase one. :eek:

123, I'm thinking of a rubberized canvas belt like this machine would have had originally. But if I can get a serpentine belt will be faster so I'll probably get one of those. :)

Edit- I found 1"x2.5"x48" 1018 steel on speedy metals for $43 and 1.5"x6" bearing grade bronze for $43. I'll be ordering that later this week. :)

Last edited:
:eek: Wow! Thank you! I think I will take you up on that offer when the time comes. Do you like damascus? If you do I'll toss in a bar for payment. :)

Chuck, no I didn't. I haven't had the extra cash to purchase one. :eek:

123, I'm thinking of a rubberized canvas belt like this machine would have had originally. But if I can get a serpentine belt will be faster so I'll probably get one of those. :)

Edit- I found 1"x2.5"x48" 1018 steel on speedy metals for $43 and 1.5"x6" bearing grade bronze for $43. I'll be ordering that later this week. :)

I love damascus and would consider it a bonus, I am also interested in making a rolling mill and happy to help just for the knowledge. If you have hard copy of any drawings you could put those in too. Let me know when you are ready to do this.

Mark it will be about 2 weeks if I order the steel right away. I have to cut it all to size once it arrives. I'll include my Autocad drawings and I'll ask Delbert if its ok to email you the pictures of his. Would you also be able to accurately drill the 1.5" holes the bushings fit into? Seems kinda foolish to purchase a $30 bit for four holes. :) Thanks!

So today my lathe told me that after 120ish years... it doesn't like to start in the cold. :p But I did the one end and the center turned down and within .003. I might finishing turning down the other end tonight if I'm ambitious enough.

Mark it will be about 2 weeks if I order the steel right away. I have to cut it all to size once it arrives. I'll include my Autocad drawings and I'll ask Delbert if its ok to email you the pictures of his. Would you also be able to accurately drill the 1.5" holes the bushings fit into? Seems kinda foolish to purchase a $30 bit for four holes. :) Thanks!

So today my lathe told me that after 120ish years... it doesn't like to start in the cold. :p But I did the one end and the center turned down and within .003. I might finishing turning down the other end tonight if I'm ambitious enough.

Dan,
You can share the pics and any other info about the rolling mill to anyone you like. I am working on the second generation mill now with interchangable rollers and both rollers powered. I am still using the one you are basing your plans off of and it works great, I just find that I need a mill with increased capacity, power and versatility.
Thanks,
Del

Back